Benjamin T. Reyes
Benjamin T. Reyes II counsels the firm’s clients in the areas of municipal and public agency law, energy, construction, procurement and elections. He is the City Attorney for Pinole and Union City, and serves as General Counsel for the Stege Sanitary District and Assistant General Counsel for the West Contra Costa Transportation Advisory Committee. Ben chairs the firm’s Public Contracts Practice Group.
A general counsel and city attorney, Ben has two decades of experience working with public agencies throughout the state on a breadth of legal issues. He has prepared legislation for governing bodies in areas of community preservation, land use and revenue. Ben regularly teaches seminars on the Ralph M. Brown Act (local agency open meeting law), ethics, conflicts of interest and the political reform act. He has significant experience in elections and campaign finance, and has prepared several ballot measures for local sales and transactions taxes and utility users taxes.
Ben has subject matter expertise in public contract and procurement law and has litigated several cases involving major public works projects. He is well versed in local agency competitive bidding, design-build projects, bid protests, contractor prequalification and claims resolution.Read More
He has written and revised contract specifications for several public agency clients. Ben represents public agency clients in high-technology, software and information system procurement projects. Ben also serves as special counsel for several public agencies seeking to build traditional and renewable energy projects, particularly, solar system projects.
Prior to joining Meyers Nave, Ben served as General Counsel and Secretary of Utility.com, a former Internet-based energy and utility service provider.
Ben also managed the regulatory affairs of the company’s energy, telecommunication and broadband services in 45 states. As the chief legal officer, Ben directed all legal activity and corporate transactions of the company and managed outside counsel on various projects.
Prior to Utility.com, Ben served as an attorney for the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) where he represented the District on a wide variety of construction disputes and rate challenges. At EBMUD, Ben represented and advised the Department of Engineering, the Purchasing Department, Special District One (the waste water treatment plant at the Bay Bridge), and the legislative affairs unit. Ben also managed outside counsel in litigation involving rate challenges and construction claims.
Ben started his career in public agency law as a Deputy City Attorney for the City of San Jose, where he litigated matters involving code enforcement and represented the City’s Police and Public Works Departments in major tort and contract claims.
- Bay Cities Paving & Grading, Inc. v. City of San Leandro (2014) 223 Cal.App.4th 1181, Rev. Denied
- Utility Cost Management v. EBMUD (2000) 79 Cal.App.4th 1244, 94 Cal.Rptr 2d 777
- Utility Cost Management v. Indian Wells Water District (2001) 26 Cal.4th 1185 (Amicus)
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, “AB 626: Impact on Public Works Projects and New Compliance Requirements,” County Counsel Association Public Works and Contracts Conference, 2017
- Presenter, “AB 626: What It Means for Public Works Projects and What Public Agencies Need to Do to Comply,” Meyers Nave webinar, 2017
- Presenter, “How to Become a Law Firm Partner,” Filipino Bar Association of Northern California, 2016
- Presenter, “Defending Against Construction Contractor Claims,” County Counsels’ Association Public Works and Contracts Spring Study Section Conference, 2016
- Presenter, “AB 1234 Ethics Training,” Stege Sanitary District, 2016
- Presenter, “What You Need to Know About Public Records and Open Meetings,” Lorman Educational Services, 2016
- Presenter, “Public Contracts Overview and Update On Recent Legislation,” 19th Annual American Public Works Association (APWA) Conference, 2015
- Presenter, “SB 854: Contractor Registration Requirements for Public Works,” Meyers Nave webinar, 2015
- Presenter, “Public Contracts and Procurement Regulations,” Lorman Education Services Seminar, 2013
- Presenter, “The Privileges and Perils of a Prequalification Program,” APWA, 17th Annual Public Works Conference, 2013
- Presenter, “Navigating Your Way Through Bid Protests,” CSDA Annual Conference, 2013
- Presenter, “Bid Protests and the Impact of Legislation,” APWA Annual Conference, 2012
- Presenter, “Procurement and Public Works Laws in California,” 2003-2010
- Presenter, “What You Need to Know About Public Records and Open Meetings,” 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016
- Presenter, “AB 1234 Training for Local Government Agency Officials,” 2006-2010
- Presenter, Construction Law for California Public Entities, Open Meeting and Conflict of Interest Laws, Lorman Education Services
- Presenter, workshops on public works and competitive bidding; the Brown Act; Public Records Act and Conflict of Interest Law, California Special Districts Association
- Presenter, “What You Need to Know About Public Records and Open Meetings in California,” 2003-2009
- Chapter Chair, Chapter 7, “Public Contracts,” Municipal Law Handbook, published by the League of California Cities, 2006-2007
- Presenter, “Ethical Issues in a High-Tech World,” California Special Districts Association, 2007
- Presenter, “Public Contract Code and Competitive Bidding in California,” 2004, 2005, and 2006
- Presenter, “Staying in Compliance,” Essential Updates to the Brown Act, Public Records Act and Conflict of Interest Law for CSDA, 2005
- Author, “Government Technology/Buyers Beware,” [em]American City & County[/em], 2005
- Presenter, “Interpretation of Government Contracts,” 2005
- Presenter, “Construction Contracting for Public Entities in California,” 2003, 2004
- Presenter, “Bad News for the Brown Act. Bad News for District Rate and Taxpayers,” Meyers Nave, 2004
- Presenter, “Reaching Closure – Effective Project Completion and Closeout,” 2004
- Presenter, “Competitive Bidding Rules and Prequalification Programs,” Association of California Water Agencies, 2004
- Presenter, “Construction Contracting For Public Entities: Minimizing Risk and Resolving Disputes,” California Special Districts Association, 2003
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Instructor, Trial Advocacy Skills Program, Stanford Law School
- Adjunct Faculty, Intensive Advocacy Program, University of San Francisco School of Law
- Advisory Board Member and former Vice President, Filipino Bar Association of Northern California
- Committee Chair, National Filipino American Lawyers Association
- Member, Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area
- Member, Associated General Contractors of California
- Member, Board of Directors, Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce (2003-2006)
- Former President, Member of Board of Directors, Alameda Free Library Foundation
- Judge, McCullum Youth Court Project
- Member, Board of Directors, California Alumni Association, 1996-1999
- Vice President and General Counsel, Boy Scouts of America, Alameda Council
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America, Troop 61, Alameda Council
- United States Army Reserves, 1983-1986 (Distinguished Military Graduate, UC Berkeley)
- University of San Francisco School of LawJD, 1992
- University of California at BerkeleyBA, Political Science, 1987