Elena O. Gekker
Elena Gekker is an Associate with broad experience from serving as an attorney in a private law firm, a research attorney and judicial extern at the San Francisco County Superior Court, a law clerk at Bay Area Legal Aid, and a legal intern at the San Francisco Office of the City Attorney.
Elena’s wide range of experience includes matters relating to:
- Constitutional issues, such as private citizen’s rights to record public officials, First Amendment freedom of speech protections, and equal protection applicability to same-gender schools
- Housing and real estate
- Mortgage and foreclosure litigation, at the appellate and trial level
- Probate and family law
- Public benefits
She has served as lead attorney and supervised junior attorneys, participated in formal court mediation and informal settlements, appeared at pre-trial hearings and conferences, conducted ex parte hearings, drafted pre-trial motions, motions in limine and post-trial motions, taken witness depositions and conducted discovery, and drafted appellate briefs and other submissions to the California Court of Appeal, California Supreme Court, and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Elena is admitted to practice in the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, and the U.S. District Court, Eastern District.
Presentations and Publications
- Note, “Rape, Sexual Slavery, and Forced Marriage at the International Criminal Court,” 25 Hastings Women’s Law Journal 105 (2014)
- Member, Association of Women in Water, Energy and Environment
- Member, California Women Lawyers
- Member, Phi Alpha Delta
- University of California, Hastings College of the LawJ.D., 2012-2014
- America University, Washington College of Lawfirst year J.D. curriculum, 2011-2012
- Notre Dame de Namur UniversityB.A., Political Science and History, magna cum laude, 2010