Nicholaus W. Norvell
Nicholaus Norvell is an associate with the Municipal and Special District Law, California Public Records Act, and Public Contracts Practice Groups, advising clients on the full range of legal issues they encounter, including the Ralph M. Brown Act, Public Records Act, Political Reform Act, public contracting, and general law issues. Nicholaus brings a comprehensive understanding of public law, which he uses to counsel his public entity clients in all areas of public law, with particular expertise in public records, prevailing wages, and government ethics.
Nicholaus serves as Assistant City Attorney for the City of Pittsburg and General Counsel for the Rolling Hills Community Services District. He also represents numerous other public agencies on a regular basis.
Prior to joining Meyers Nave, Nicholaus served as a law clerk for the U.S. Office of Government Ethics and a legal intern for the Federal Communications Commission, each in Washington, D.C. In these roles, he gained invaluable experience with the intricacies of public law.
While in law school, Nicholaus served as the Editor-in-Chief of the San Diego Law Review.
Honors and Awards
- “Top Lawyers,” State, Local & Municipal law category, Sacramento Magazine, 2016
- Member, Order of the Coif
Presentations and Publications
- Co-Author, "High Court to Consider Scope of Public Records Law,” The Daily Journal, December, 2016
- Presenter, “California Public Records Act,” City of Pittsburg, 2016
- Presenter, “Staying in Compliance: Understanding Fundamental Laws,” California Special Districts Association workshop, 2016
- Co-Author, "Ruling Was Victory For Public Agencies,” The Daily Journal, March, 2016"
- Co-Author, "Impact of Public Records Initiative Uncertain,” The Daily Journal, July, 2014
- Co-Author, "Public Officials’ Private Emails not Public Records,” The Daily Journal, April, 2014
- Author, “Transition Relief for Tax Reforms Third Rail: Reforming the Home Mortgage Interest Deduction After the Housing Market Crash,” 49 San Diego Law Review 1333
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, American Bar Association, State and Local Government Section
- Co-Chair, SacLEGAL, Sacramento’s LGBT Bar Association, 2017
- Secretary and Board Member, SacLEGAL, Sacramento’s LGBT Bar Association, 2014-2016
- University of San Diego School of LawJD, magna cum laude, 2013
- Wesleyan UniversityBA, Government, 2007