Robert S. Moutrie
Robert (Rob) Moutrie is a member of the Trial and Litigation Practice and Municipal and Special District Law Practice. Rob has broad experience handling complex commercial litigation in federal and state courts. He has also handled unlawful detainer cases from complaint to settlement, analyzed and drafted commercial lease documents, and negotiated settlement of tort claims.
Most recently, Rob was part of the Meyers Nave litigation team that obtained, on behalf of the County of Los Angeles, 22 additional days of relocation assistance and compensation for residents who were displaced by the Porter Ranch gas leak. The matter involved the largest methane gas leak in U.S. history, which displaced nearly 3,000 residents and led to the California Governor declaring a State of Emergency. In seeking a preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order, Rob assisted with drafting declarations on behalf of County employees, preparing objections to opposing counsel’s evidence, and responding to opposing counsel’s objections to the County’s evidence.
Rob handles all stages of complex litigation matters including developing litigation strategy, drafting pre-trial pleadings, drafting and arguing dispositive motions, propounding and responding to discovery, handling discovery disputes, and, when it is in a client’s best interest, taking cases to trial.
Prior to joining Meyers Nave, Rob was a litigation associate at firms in San Francisco and Oakland. He served as a legal intern for the San Francisco Public Defender’s Office and the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office.
Rob is a member of the State Bar of California. He is admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of California. He is a member of the Bar Association of San Francisco, the Employment Rights Section of the American Association of Justice and the Young Lawyers Division of the American Bar Association.
Presentations and Publications
- Author, “Can You Impeach With RFA Denials? – Victaulic Company’s $55 Million Dollar Question,” The Recorder, March 22, 2018
- Author, “Ninth Circuit Addresses Unattended Collection Bins and Upholds Oakland's Ordinance as Content Neutral,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, 2017
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, The Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member, The American Association of Justice – Employment Rights Section
- Member, The American Bar Association – Young Lawyers Division
- University of California, Hastings College of the LawJD, Cum Laude, 2013
- University of California at BerkeleyBA, Political Science, 2009