Director of Finance – Oakland
Meyers Nave is recruiting for a Director of Finance. This is an exempt position reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and located in Oakland.
The Director of Finance will lead all day-to-day accounting and financial operations and will supervise a team of 6-8 staff members. The Director of Finance will ensure that executive and operational leadership have the necessary financial information to make informed business decisions that will contribute to the Firm’s long term success. The Director of Finance is expected to improve functional efficiencies and to be continually attuned to ways in which the Firm can reduce or contain costs.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Ensure that the Firm adheres to generally accepted accounting principles, financial accounting standards, internal control procedures, and Federal and State accounting regulations and filing requirements.
- Plan, direct, and supervise the responsibilities of the Finance Department (e.g., payroll, accounts receivable, billing and cash receipts, accounts payable, fixed assets, etc.) to provide maximum productivity at lowest possible cost within applicable guidelines and standards.
- Supervise the maintenance of the Firm’s general ledger and the timely preparation of the Firm’s operating and financial statements as well as external statistical, survey, and statutory filings.
- Develop and analyze financial performance data, including the Firm’s profitability analysis, to assist executive management in enhancing the Firm’s financial strength.
- Oversee the production of all work papers related to the Firm’s monthly financial reports, the annual budget, and the year-end partner compensation worksheets and calculations.
- Oversee payroll reporting and tax compliance.
- Oversee administration of Firm’s retirement plans.
- Oversee implementation of new computer accounting systems and upgrades.
- Maintain relationship with Firm’s primary financial institution to maximize the Firm’s cash management and keep all financial obligations current and in conformity with agreements and restrictive covenants.
- Work with an independent accounting firm to comply with all Federal and State income tax filing and reporting requirements.
- Provide quarterly and year-end financial information and work papers for compilation of reviewed financial statements and related footnotes.
- Monitor and support the professional growth of Finance Department employees.
- Maintain contacts, as necessary, with outside regulatory and business entities for the purpose of exchanging information and resolving differences.
- Travel to all Meyers Naves offices on an as-needed basis;
- Attend work on a regular and predictable schedule;
- Work extended hours as needed;
- Work cordially, cooperatively, and productively with all firm employees;
- Manage multiple problems and projects at once;
- Remain calm and focused during stressful and emergency situations while producing accurate work product; and
- Other functions as assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the functions of this position at any time.
- Maintain contacts with counterparts in other law firms and individuals in trade associations and user groups to exchange information.
The following qualifications are required unless otherwise noted:
- BS in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent; CPA Designation preferred; MBA preferred;
- Ten or more years of experience managing an accounting department in a medium- or large-sized company, preferably a law firm;
- Proficiency in Microsoft programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, computer-based accounting systems; and
- Ability to effectively manage and supervise accounting and finance personnel.
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org