Edward L. Kreisberg
Edward (Eddie) Kreisberg specializes in providing labor and employment litigation, advice, arbitration, administrative hearing and negotiation services to public and private employers throughout the state of California. The Daily Journal recognized Eddie as one of the “Top Labor and Employment Lawyers” in California for 2011.
Eddie’s expertise includes representation of employers in discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, benefits, and labor agreement lawsuits. Eddie also regularly advises employers on the full range of labor and employment issues, including layoffs and furloughs, accommodation of disabilities, discipline, grievances, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), California Family Rights Act (CFRA), pension, health, privacy, Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) charges, overtime, the Police and Firefighter Bill of Rights Acts, labor relations, harassment, drug and alcohol, and violence in the workplace.
Eddie also represents employers in discipline, grievance, and interest arbitrations, as well as administrative hearings before civil service commissions, the Public Employment Relations Board, the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS), the Department of Labor and the Employment Development Department. He regularly audits public agency rules, labor contracts, job descriptions and payroll practices to ensure compliance with wage and hour laws.
In addition to the other aspects of his law practice, Eddie is a sought after negotiator and advisor on all aspects of labor relations. His work includes negotiating and advising on successor Memoranda of Understanding (MOU), side letters, personnel rules, employee handbooks, department policies, civil service rules, past practice and employer-employee relations resolutions.
Prior to joining Meyers Nave, Eddie worked as an attorney for Liebert, Cassidy & Frierson where he defended and advised public agency clients in all aspects of labor and employment law. He previously clerked for federal Magistrate Judge Louisa Porter in the U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, advised Congressman Robert T. Matsui on legislation and policy issues, and interned in the Office of Congressman Mel Levine. He has clerked for both an insurance defense law firm and the Alaska office of a national firm representing Native American governments.
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, “Top Labor and Employment Lawyers,” Daily Journal, 2011
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, “Bargaining Perspectives From A Union And Management Expert: What You Need To Know!,” CAPELRA Annual Training Conference, 2014
- Speaker, “Interplay Of Key Leave Laws: Navigating ADA, FMLA, FEHA, And Workers’ Compensation Law,” CAPELRA Annual Training Conference; 2013, 2014
- Author, "How Will PEPRA Affect Retired Annuitants?" CSDA e-News, November, 2012
- Speaker, “The Finance Officer’s Role in Labor Relations,” CSMFO Annual Conference, 2012
- Speaker, “Vested Rights: What We Can and Cannot Change,” CALPELRA Annual Conference, 2012
- Speaker, “Litigating, Mediating, Arbitrating, and Preventing Employment Law Claims,” CALPELRALearn, 2012
- Speaker, “Unraveling the Mysteries of the Fair Labor Standards Act and Audits,” CALPELRALearn, 2012
- Speaker, "Scooby Doo - Where Are You? Navigating Leaves of Absence," PELRAC Annual Conference, 2012
- Speaker, “Negotiating Reductions in Benefits: What Finance Officers Need to Know,” California Society of Municipal Finance Officers Annual Conference, 2012
- Speaker, "Interplay of Key Leave Laws: Navigating ADA, FMLA, FEHA, and Worker's Compensation Law," CALPELRA Annual Conference, 2011
- Speaker, California Foundation for Fiscal Responsibility, 2011
- Speaker, Northern California Chapter of the International Public Management Association-Human Resources (NCCIPMA-HR), 2010
- Speaker, California Public Employers Labor Relations Association (CALPELRA), 2005-2011
- Speaker, County Counsels’ Association Employment Law Conference, 2004 and 2010
- Speaker, League of California Cities (LOCC), 2003 and 2010
- Speaker, State Bar of California, Labor and Employment Section, 2009
- Speaker, State Association of County Auditors, 2009
- Speaker, Municipal Management Association of Northern California (MMANC), 2003 and 2009
- Speaker, Association of California Water Agencies (ACWA), 2003 and 2007
- Speaker, International Public Manager Association (IPMA), 2004, 2005 and 2006
- Speaker, California Society of Municipal Finance Officers (CSMFO), 2005
- Speaker, Southern California Public Labor Relations Council (SCPLRC), 2005
- Speaker, Bay Area City Attorneys (BACA), 2000
- Speaker, Public Agency Risk Managers Association (PARMA)
- Speaker, numerous client briefings at Meyers Nave’s offices and agency-specific presentations
- Author, “Mental Disabilities Under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA),” CPER, 1997
- Speaker, specialized training for numerous public agencies on issues such as harassment, discrimination, retaliation, overtime, the Firefighter Bill of Rights Act, medical leave laws, labor relations and negotiations, references checks, discipline, and privacy issues
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, Alameda County Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
- University of California at Davis, King Hall School of Law, JD, 1995
- University of California at Berkeley, BA, Economics and History, 1990