Edward L. Kreisberg
Edward (Eddie) Kreisberg specializes in providing labor and employment litigation, advice, arbitration, administrative hearing, and negotiation services to public and private employers throughout California. The Daily Journal recognized Eddie as one of the “Top Labor and Employment Lawyers” in California for 2011.
Eddie represents employers in discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, benefits, and labor agreement lawsuits. He also advises employers on the full range of labor and employment issues, including layoffs and furloughs, accommodation of disabilities, discipline, grievances, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the California Family Rights Act (CFRA), pension, health, privacy, Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) charges, overtime, the Public Safety Officers Procedural Bill of Rights Act and the Firefighters Procedural Bill of Rights Act, labor relations, harassment, drug and alcohol, and violence in the workplace.
Eddie also represents employers in discipline, grievance, and interest arbitrations, as well as administrative hearings before civil service commissions, PERB, the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS), the Department of Labor and the Employment Development Department. He also audits public agency rules, labor contracts, job descriptions and payroll practices to ensure compliance with wage and hour laws.
Eddie is a sought-after negotiator and advisor on all aspects of labor relations. His work includes negotiating and advising on successor Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs), side letters, personnel rules, employee handbooks, department policies, civil service rules, past practices and employer-employee relations resolutions.
Eddie previously clerked for federal Magistrate Judge Louisa Porter in the U.S. District Court, Southern District of California; advised Congressman Robert T. Matsui on legislation and policy issues; and interned in the Office of Congressman Mel Levine. He has clerked for both an insurance defense law firm and the Alaska office of a national firm representing Native American governments.
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, “Top Labor and Employment Lawyers,” Daily Journal, 2011
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, “Bargaining Perspectives From A Union And Management Expert: What You Need To Know!,” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association (CALPELRA) Annual Training Conference, 2014
- Speaker, “Interplay Of Key Leave Laws: Navigating ADA, FMLA, FEHA, And Workers’ Compensation Law,” CALPELRA Annual Training Conference; 2013, 2014
- Author, “How Will PEPRA Affect Retired Annuitants?” CSDA e-News, November, 2012
- Speaker, “The Finance Officer’s Role in Labor Relations,” California Society of Municipal Finance Officers (CSMFO) Annual Conference, 2012
- Speaker, “Vested Rights: What We Can and Cannot Change,” CALPELRA Annual Conference, 2012
- Speaker, “Litigating, Mediating, Arbitrating, and Preventing Employment Law Claims,” CALPELRALearn, 2012
- Speaker, “Unraveling the Mysteries of the Fair Labor Standards Act and Audits,” CALPELRALearn, 2012
- Speaker, "Scooby Doo - Where Are You? Navigating Leaves of Absence," PELRAC Annual Conference, 2012
- Speaker, “Negotiating Reductions in Benefits: What Finance Officers Need to Know,” CSMFO Annual Conference, 2012
- Speaker, "Interplay of Key Leave Laws: Navigating ADA, FMLA, FEHA, and Worker's Compensation Law," CALPELRA Annual Conference, 2011
- Speaker, California Foundation for Fiscal Responsibility, 2011
- Speaker, Northern California Chapter of the International Public Management Association- Human Resources (NCCIPMA-HR), 2010 and 2011
- Speaker, CALPELRA Annual Conference, 2005-2011
- Speaker, County Counsels’ Association Employment Law Conference, 2004 and 2010
- Speaker, League of California Cities (LOCC), 2003 and 2010
- Speaker, State Bar of California, Labor and Employment Section, 2009
- Speaker, State Association of County Auditors, 2009
- Speaker, Municipal Management Association of Northern California (MMANC), 2003 and 2009
- Speaker, Association of California Water Agencies (ACWA), 2003 and 2007
- Speaker, International Public Manager Association (IPMA), 2004, 2005 and 2006
- Speaker, CSMFO, 2005
- Speaker, Southern California Public Labor Relations Council (SCPLRC), 2005
- Speaker, Bay Area City Attorneys (BACA), 2000
- Speaker, Public Agency Risk Managers Association (PARMA)
- Speaker, numerous client briefings at Meyers Nave’s offices and agency-specific presentations
- Author, “Mental Disabilities Under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA),” CPER, 1997
- Speaker, specialized training for numerous public agencies on issues such as harassment, discrimination, retaliation, overtime, the Firefighter Bill of Rights Act, medical leave laws, labor relations and negotiations, references checks, discipline, and privacy issues
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, Alameda County Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
- University of California at Davis, King Hall School of Law, JD, 1995
- University of California at Berkeley, BA, Economics and History, 1990