Richard Pio Roda
Richard D. Pio Roda practices in the areas of municipal and special district law, public contracts, land use, real estate, elections and education law. He specializes in matters relating to the Brown Act, the California Public Records Act, construction, public contracts, public bidding and procurement, prevailing wage law, land use and planning, ethics, and conflicts of interest.
Richard is the City Attorney for the City of San Leandro. Richard is also General Counsel to the Mendocino County Community Development Commission and the Rodeo Hercules Fire District. In addition to providing legal advice on public contracts, construction, public law and corporate transactions, Richard handles all aspects of advice and counsel to board members, commissioners, councilmembers and staff regarding public law and governance. He also routinely advises on risk and litigation management. From 2004 to 2007, he served as the Assistant City Attorney for the cities of Milpitas and Oakley.
In addition, Richard serves as Special Counsel to the San Francisco Unified School District’s 2003, 2006, and 2011 Proposition A Construction Programs, and the District’s Citizens Bond Oversight Committee. Prior to joining Meyers Nave, Richard was a Deputy General Counsel for the District. He advised the District’s Facilities, Business, and Operations Departments in school construction, real estate, procurement, finance, bidding and contracting, and transportation. He frequently counseled on all aspects of school construction, from design to close-out. He also served as Board Counsel for the District’s successful passage of its 2003 $350 million general obligation bond. He interfaced with City and County representatives, various community groups, bond counsel, financial consultants, the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee, and other District stakeholders as the Board’s representative.
Richard is frequently requested as a trainer and speaker on government ethics, conflicts of interest, public contracting, construction, and public procurement. Richard is also on the Lorman Educational Services faculty for topics such as government ethics; conflicts of interest; the Brown Act and the Public Records Act; and public contracting, procurement and construction.
Richard is also a professional auctioneer and fundraiser. He has raised money for various organizations, charities, foundations, and nonprofits throughout the world. A partial list of these organizations includes the Tokyo-English Life Line, the American Cancer Society, the San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center, Children’s Heritage Foundation, various Boys and Girls Clubs throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, Books for the Barrios, and the University of San Francisco School of Law Public Interest Law Foundation.
Richard was appointed by the Honorable Mayor Ed Lee to the City and County of San Francisco Human Rights Commission in 2012, a Charter Commission charged with vetting, reviewing and recommending policies related to human rights, anti-discrimination, and equity. During his tenure on the Human Rights Commission, Richard has been involved in numerous projects, and policy working groups, including the Local Business Enterprise Advisory Committee and the Benefit Corporation ordinance working group.
Presentations and Publications
- Instructor, Lorman Educational Services, “Public Contracts and Procurement Regulations”
- Speaker, “The Privileges and Perils of a Prequalification Program,” American Public Works Association, 17th Annual Public Works Conference, 2013
- Instructor, Lorman Educational Services, “What You Need to Know About Public Records and Open Meetings”
- Moderator, California’s Coalition for Adequate School Housing, 34th Annual Conference Roundtable Discussion, “Don’t Get Stuck in the Middle: Properly Handling Stop Payment Notices, A to Z"
- Speaker, California’s Coalition for Adequate School Housing, Sacramento and Ontario Sessions, “Protecting Schools in an Environment of Changing State Policy, Case Law and Legislation: Handling Bid Protests”
- Speaker, Coalition for Adequate School Housing Annual Conference, Roundtable Discussion, “Serenity Among the Chaos: How to Deftly Handle Bid Protests”
- Moderator, Coalition for Adequate School Housing Annual Conference, Roundtable Discussion, “Prevailing Wage Monitoring Compliance and Preparation for Hearing Before the Department of Industrial Relations”
- Guest Speaker, California Association of Public Purchasing Officers Annual Conference, “Government Ethics and Conflicts of Interest in Purchasing”
- Instructor, Lorman Educational Services, “California Public Bidding and Contracting Laws”
- Instructor, Lorman Educational Services, “Public Meetings – Seminar on the Brown Act, Public Records Act and the Political Reform Act”
- Moderator, Coalition for Adequate School Housing Annual Conference, Roundtable discussion on debarment and pre-qualification programs
- Speaker, Napa County Office of Education, AB 1234 ethics and conflicts of interest training
- Speaker, City of South San Francisco, AB 1234 ethics and conflicts of interest training
- Speaker, City of San Leandro, AB 1234 ethics and conflicts of interest training
- Speaker, Town of Los Altos Hills, AB 1234 ethics and conflicts of interest training
- Speaker, California Special Districts Association, AB 1234 ethics and conflicts of interest training
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, City and County of San Francisco Human Rights Commission
- Member, San Francisco – Manila Sister City Committee
- Board Member, San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center
- Board Member, San Leandro Scholarship Foundation
- Member and Past President, Filipino Bar Association of Northern California
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Member, Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area
- Member, San Francisco Bar Association
- Member, California Council of School Attorneys
- Special Counsel, Keep Music Rockin’ Foundation, San Leandro, CA
- University of San Francisco School of Law, JD, 2001
- University of San Francisco, BS, Accounting, cum laude, 1997