Meyers Nave’s Commercial Litigation Practice Group handles complex, high-stakes litigation in federal and state courts throughout California. We have represented corporate clients in a broad range of commercial disputes, including those involving consumer class actions, intellectual property, unfair business practices, insurance coverage, cyber security/data protection, false advertising, real estate, contracts, construction, product liability and mass torts, and bankruptcy and creditors’ rights.
We also have special expertise in government investigations and enforcement actions and complex financial litigation, such as representing corporate clients in securities fraud litigation, False Claim Act matters, accounting malpractice cases, and complicated asset purchase agreements that involve complex issues relating to GAAP, GAAS, and valuation of assets.
Our team has handled cases in a variety of industries, including technology, healthcare, on-line ticketing, accounting, publishing, banking, life sciences, manufacturing, energy, media, construction, and real estate. We staff each matter with lawyers who are familiar with the specific claims and business matters at issue, and we work closely with each client to obtain the result that best aligns with corporate strategy goals – whether that is through motions to dismiss, summary judgment, early settlement, arbitration, indemnification by third parties, or taking a case through trial and verdict.
Our attorneys focus on obtaining a thorough understanding of each client’s overall business objectives and specific resolution goals for each matter. We develop litigation strategies that are tailored to outcomes that match these key considerations.
- Represent leading marketer and manufacturer of lawn and garden and pet supplies in defense of trade secret misappropriation claims relating to product manufacturing process.
- Lead counsel for on-line ticketing and marketing company in defense and settlement of a nationwide class action asserting privacy claims arising from data breach.
- Obtained favorable settlement for higher education service provider in connection with alleged breach of contract claim venued in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Obtained favorable settlement for Singapore based hotel industry client of purported class action asserting violations of California’s statute prohibiting the recording of conversations.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of class action claims relating to Google’s mobile subscription service AdWords.
- Represented Japanese corporation in seven-day bench trial before the International Trade Commission in Section 337 Investigation involving issues of patent infringement and validity relating to biogenetic manufacturing process.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict in an employment age discrimination and breach of contract case tried before federal court jury in Northern District of California.
- Represent retailer and manufacturer of cosmetics and drugs concerning slack fill allegations by California District Attorneys.
- Defend clients in District Attorney and Attorney General investigations alleging false or misleading labeling or advertising of cosmetics, over-the-counter drugs, dietary supplements, and homeopathic products.
- Obtained favorable, non-litigation resolution for higher education technology company in connection with False Claims Act investigation by Department of Education and Department of Justice regarding financial federal aid payments.
- Obtained favorable, non-litigation resolution for national retailer in federal False Claims Act investigation alleging overpayments of more than $100 million to public benefit program.
- Defense of publishing company against unfair competition and false advertising claims asserted by California District Attorneys relating to alleged negative option subscriptions.
- Represented former President of Countrywide Financial Corporation in connection with investigations by and litigation with the California Attorney General and the SEC, and related class actions.
- Obtained full acquittal after a six-week trial for former CFO of medical distribution company in connection with criminal securities fraud charges by the U.S. Department of Justice, arising out of $9 billion market cap loss following earnings restatement.
- Represent on-line event ticket service company in dispute with General Liability insurance carrier regarding coverage for claims arising from data breach event.
- Represented internet hospitality industry client in connection with insurance coverage relating to data breach and negotiation of dispute with acquirer relating to data breach.
- Counsel for numerous companies seeking to maximize insurance coverage for data breach and/or privacy events.
- Obtained arbitration verdict in excess of $16 million on behalf of hospital system in dispute with an excess reinsurer regarding coverage of medical malpractice claims.
- Defended an international joint venture in a multi-million dollar false advertising action, from inception of the case through trial in the Southern District of New York.
- Prevailed on appeal in the Seventh Circuit to uphold dismissal of a class action asserting violations of the Social Security Act and state consumer protection laws against DISH Network.
- Achieved a highly favorable settlement following mediation on behalf of an international heavy industry manufacturer in a breach of contract dispute.
- Defended a California bank in a consumer class action and fended off two copycat class actions alleging violations of California’s unfair competition laws that was part of a wave of overdraft fee-related litigation against banks across the country.
- Successfully opposed a petition for writ of mandate in California state court to uphold the award of a public school contract to Cox Communications providing high-speed internet service.
- Secured a voluntary dismissal of putative class action against DISH Network that was consolidated in the Pacquiao-Mayweather MDL pending in the Central District of California.
- Defeated class certification in a complex Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) class action in the District of Colorado.
- Defended a multinational company in a five month toxic tort trial in Los Angeles brought by multiple foreign plaintiffs, obtaining a split verdict that was later overturned on appeal due to plaintiffs’ fraud.
- Defended a microelectronics company in a four month trial in San Jose, California, obtaining a unanimous defense verdict, subsequently recognized as a “Top Defense Verdict of the Year.”
- Represented a third party defendant against indemnity claims arising out of the client’s IPO.
- Defended a respirator manufacturer in numerous personal injury/product liability actions throughout California, including defending against claims of successor liability.