Camille Hamilton Pating
Camille Hamilton Pating is co-chair of the Labor & Employment Practice and chair of the Workplace Investigations Practice. She is a sought-after attorney investigator, specializing in high-profile investigations involving government officials, executives and high-level employees of public, private and non-profit organizations. Camille also advises and defends employers in litigation, arbitrations and disciplinary hearings and appeals. Her practice includes Title VII proceedings, including race, sex, disability and age-based harassment and discrimination, grievance arbitrations, unfair labor practice proceedings, reasonable accommodation, leave of absence issues, hiring/separation processes, and employee privacy.
Camille has conducted over 150 investigations, including claims of harassment/hostile work environment, fraud, waste, abusive conduct, discrimination, retaliation, Title IX, police internal affairs, misappropriation, workplace violence, whistleblower matters and ethics violations. Having conducted numerous investigations for public sector employers, Camille is well versed in the Public Safety Officers Procedural Bill of Rights Act and the Firefighters Procedural Bill of Rights, as well as the Weingarten rights afforded to public employees. In addition, she provides appropriate corrective action advice to address issues often present in workplace climate investigations, and helps employers create, enhance and implement Diversity, Equity and Inclusion programs and initiatives.
Camille recently investigated allegations of harassment and discrimination at a digital media company, claims of racial bullying of students at an elite California university, alleged harassment by the CEO of a nationally-recognized non-profit organization, and allegations of systemic sexual harassment and sexual favoritism at a hospital. She has conducted major misconduct investigations involving elected officials and employees of some of the largest public employers throughout California. Camille investigated ethical misconduct claims regarding the City of Bell scandal, and was a member of the BART internal affairs team that investigated the officer-involved shooting death of Oscar Grant.
She is also an experienced litigator and served as a member of the trial team which won a unanimous jury defense verdict for the Chief of Police and City of Richmond against charges of discrimination, harassment and retaliation in a highly publicized case that was selected as a defense verdict of the year by the Daily Journal.
Camille provides advice and training to employers on a wide range of personnel matters arising under state and federal law with emphasis on employee discipline, harassment, discrimination, whistleblower retaliation, employee privacy and, social media issues. Camille shares her expertise as a frequent presenter at conferences and seminars on topics that include preventing workplace bullying and harassment, recognizing implicit bias, social media and ethics.
She served as Chair of Meyers Nave’s Diversity Committee for five years and is a leader of the firm’s Women’s Initiative, Diversity Initiative and Diversity Fellowship Program. Prior to joining Meyers Nave, Camille served as Senior Trial Counsel at Renne Sloan Holtzman Sakai LLP in San Francisco. She was a Deputy City Attorney at the San Francisco City Attorney’s office, where she litigated numerous civil jury trials, court trials, arbitrations and administrative hearings. She also served as a Commissioner on the San Francisco Ethics Commission.
- Completed numerous investigations alleging Code of Conduct and other violations against executives and employees at one of the nation’s largest publicly operated health plans.
- Investigated highly publicized allegations of misconduct by employees at a Northern California Public Library.
- Investigated numerous Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline allegations against a City Auditor in a Bay Area City for the City Attorney.
- Completed investigations involving alleged sexual harassment, race discrimination and disability discrimination by two senior personnel at an international multimedia entertainment company.
- Investigated allegations of racial bullying against two African American college students at an elite public university. This matter was the subject of public protests and involvement of the NAACP.
- Investigated allegations of harassment and abuse by an Executive Director of an award-winning social venture and technology non-profit organization in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Completed high-profile investigations for the City of Bell regarding election misconduct by police officers in a scandal covered by national media. Seven city officials were convicted on graft and corruption charges and given sentences ranging from probation to 12 years in prison.
- Retained by Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) to conduct a confidential internal affairs investigation of the officer-involved shooting death of Oscar Grant. The shooting and subsequent riots received international media attention and were the subject of a biographical drama film titled “Fruitvale Station.”
- Investigated allegations of financial mismanagement, misappropriation and other misconduct by a Director of Payroll at a college district, School Administrators and various staff at a school district, and the Chancellor, Board members, and President of a community college.
- Conducted a high-profile investigation of allegations of discrimination, sexual harassment and retaliation made by senior police supervisors against the Police Chief for a major city in the San Joaquin Valley. We completed more than 60 findings in 60 days.
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, “2020 Labor Law Update,” National Association of African Americans in Human Resources, Northern California Chapter, 2019
- Author, “AB 5: Clarity for Some Employers, Uncertainty for Others,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, September 2019
- Presenter, “How to Conduct #MeToo Investigations that Stand Up in Litigation,” Next Concept HR Association’s California Legal & Legislative Summit, 2019
- Author, “SB 778 Extends Employers’ Deadline for Providing New Harassment Prevention Training,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, September 2019
- Presenter, “Lessons Learned from Workplace Investigations in the #MeToo Era,” San Mateo County Bar Association Labor & Employment Section, 2019
- Presenter, “#MeToo Movement in Local Governments”, County Counsels Association’s Employment Law Conference, 2019
- Presenter, “Identifying and Minimizing Implicit Bias,” 21st Annual Northern California Eminent Domain Conference, CLE International, 2019
- Presenter, “California’s Top 5 New Employment Laws in Response to the #MeToo Movement,” California Special Districts Association Annual Conference, 2019
- Author, “The Rights of Transgender and Non-Binary Employees,” Daily Journal’s “Top Labor and Employment Lawyers” issue, July 10, 2019
- Author, “California Lawmakers Ban Workplace Discrimination Based on Hairstyle,” Society for Human Resource Management California Newsletter, July 9, 2019
- Author, “New Law Targets Discrimination Based on Hair Style,” Daily Journal, July 8, 2019
- Presenter, “The Future of Workforce Development,” Skywalker Ranch Leadership Summit Series, 2019
- Presenter, “Lessons from #MeToo: Is Your Work Culture Inclusive Enough to Prevent Bias & Harassment Claims?”, California Association of Museums Annual Conference, 2019
- Presenter, “Ethical Issues that Most Frequently Entrap City Managers,” League of California Cities’ City Managers Conference, 2019
- Author, “California’s Top 5 New Employment Laws in Response to the #MeToo Movement,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, October 2018
- Presenter, “Discipline that Sticks – How to Create Your Best Record for Arbitration,” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association Annual Training Conference, 2018
- Presenter, “Labor Law Update,” National Association of African Americans in Human Resources, Northern California Chapter, 2018
- Presenter, “Investigating Disability Discrimination,” Alameda County’s Disability Employment Awareness and Training Conference, 2018
- Presenter, “The Next Phase of Workplace Misconduct Claims and the Elimination of Bias,” Clear Law Institute webinar, 2018
- Author, “#MeToo’s Impact on Harassment Policies, Investigations and Training,” Daily Journal’s “Top Labor and Employment Lawyers” issue, July 18, 2018
- Program Chair, Workplace Investigations: Facing High-Risk Situations, CLE International Conference, 2018
- Presenter, “Not Yet Illegal: Addressing Bias Issues and the Next Phase of Workplace Misconduct Claims,” Workplace Investigations: Facing High-Risk Situations, CLE International Conference, 2018
- Moderator, “High Stakes & High Risks: Strategies for Handling High-Profile Litigation,” Meyers Nave/California Minority Counsel Program seminar, 2018
- Presenter, “Recognizing Implicit Bias for Human Resources Professionals,” National Association of African Americans in Human Resources, 2018
- Quoted, “A Look Back on Same-Gender Sex Harassment,” Daily Journal, January 29, 2018
- Quoted, “California Legislation and Regulations to Watch in 2018,” Law360, January 1, 2018
- Quoted, “Year in Review: Hollywood Harassment Allegations,” Daily Journal, December 27, 2017
- Presenter, “Elimination of Bias: Bias Issues that May Arise in the Land Use Context,” CLE International’s Land Use Law Conference, 2017
- Author, “DFEH Issues Workplace Harassment Guide for California Employers,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, 2017
- Presenter, “Investigative Reports And The California Public Records Act: Protecting Privileges In Internal Investigations,” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association Annual Training Conference, 2016
- Presenter, “New Issues in Employment Investigations,” International Municipal Lawyers Association Annual Conference, 2016
- Presenter, “New Challenges for Employers: Diversity Initiatives & Implicit Bias,” Southern California Public Labor Relations Council, 2015
- Presenter, “New Challenges for Employers: Diversity Initiatives & Implicit Bias,” Meyers Nave webinar, 2015
- Presenter, “Get Ready for the New Claims: Workplace Bullying and Subtle Bias,” Meyers Nave webinar, 2015
- Presenter, “Nuts & Bolts of Workplace Investigations and Issues,” Alameda County’s 11th Annual Disability Employment Awareness Conference & Training, 2014
- Presenter, “How to Lead Without Breaking the Rules,” California Council of School Attorneys, 2014
- Presenter, “Employee Discipline and Investigations,” Western Regional IPMA-HR Conference, 2014
- Presenter, “Workplace Bullying: The Next Harassment Claim?,” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association Annual Training Conference, 2013
- Presenter, “Social Media Firings: The NLRB’s Do’s and Don’ts,” IMLA Annual Conference, 2013
- Presenter, “Social Media – Creating a Policy You ‘Like’,” Meyers Nave Webinar, 2013
- Presenter, “Facebook ‘Friend’ or Foe – Social Media on and off Campus,” California Council of School Attorneys, 2012
- Presenter, “Ethics 101: A Guide for Public Officials,” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association Annual Training Conference, 2008
- Presenter, “Lessons Learned from this Year’s Big Employment Verdicts,” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association Annual Training Conference, 2007
- Presenter, “Ethics 101: A Guide for Human Resources Administrators,” California Public Employers Labor Relations Association Annual Training Conference, 2006
- Presenter, “Investigation Techniques,” Southern California Public Labor Relations Council, 2006
- Co-sponsor, Bar Association of San Francisco’s African American Partners and Associates Summer Reception (2018, 2019)
- Member, National Association of African Americans in Human Resources, Northern California Chapter
- Member, Association of Workplace Investigators
- Member, Women Lawyers of Alameda County
- Member, California Women Lawyers
- Member, Women’s Initiative Committee, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member, Anti-Fraud Alliance
- Member, Municipal Management Association of Northern California
- Member, Charles Houston Bar Association
- Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, California Lawyers Association
- Member, The Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member, Filipino Bar Association of Northern California
- University of California at Los Angeles, School of LawJD, 1985
- Stanford UniversityBA, Political Science, 1982