Daniel Oren is an Associate in the Construction and Facilities Practice Group. He has extensive experience defending individuals and entities in various litigation matters in both federal and state court.
Daniel’s litigation experience includes insurance coverage, commercial litigation, mass torts, products liability, and professional liability. Prior to joining Meyers Nave, Daniel worked for two years as a San Francisco associate for a nationwide full-service law firm where he specialized in insurance coverage litigation in the context of underlying construction defect matters.
Daniel has managed cases through pre-litigation and pre-trial phases, including conducting internal investigations, drafting responsive pleadings, conducting discovery, responding to subpoenas, negotiating and obtaining favorable settlements, and drafting dispositive motions. His experience also includes trial support in the successful defense of a Bay Area transit agency in a complex, multimillion-dollar breach of contract action, where he conducted legal research, managed document systems, and drafted motions to exclude.
Daniel also performs significant pro bono work, having represented indigent clients in Immigration Court.
While attending law school, Daniel served as a law clerk for a San Francisco civil litigation firm and as an extern for Honorable William H. Alsup at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, where he gained valuable experience drafting orders, conducting legal research, and assisting the judge during courtroom proceedings.
- Represented several San Diego restaurants and gyms in emergency relief action against Governor Newsom and state and local health agencies related to COVID-19 business closures and implementation of Governor Newsom’s “Blueprint for A Safer Economy” policy regime.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in state-court action for alleged unfair business practices and violation of California Franchise Investment Law.
- Represented a major boiler manufacturer in asbestos litigation in state court and successfully obtained dismissal after dispositive motion went unopposed.
- Represented local housing authority in putative class action in federal court, where resident plaintiffs alleged various housing code and civil rights violations.
- Represented local transit entity in a multimillion-dollar, complex breach of contract action that resulted in a complete defense verdict.
- Skanska-Shimmick-Herzog v. Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. Defending the Authority in a suit relating to delays on an almost $1 billion design-build project to extend BART into Silicon Valley. The Authority has cross-complained against the design-build contractor, alleging that the delays were caused by defects in the design and construction work performed by the design-build contractor and its subcontractors.
- Flatiron Construction v. City of Oakland. Defending the City of Oakland in a dispute relating to the construction of a bridge over the Embarcadero Channel. The City has cross-complained against the contractor and the design engineers for project delay, design and construction defects, and violations of the Professional Engineers Act.
- Stronghold Engineering v. City of Monterey. Representing the City in a suit relating to delays on a project to renovate the Monterey Convention Center. The City has filed a cross-complaint against the contractor alleging defective construction and violations of the Subcontractor Listing Law (Pub. Cont. Code §§ 4100 et seq.), the California False Claims Act (Gov. Code §§ 12650 et seq.) and the CSLL.
- Santa Clara Valley Water District v. CH2M Hill, Inc. et al. Representing the District in a suit involving the defective design of the residuals management system at the District’s Rinconada Water Treatment Plant.
Honors and Awards
- Northern California Rising Stars list: Insurance Coverage, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2021
- CALI Award Recipient, Bioethics, 2018
Presentations and Publications
- Author, “Toppling Reverse Mortgage Abuse,” American Association for Justice’s Trial Magazine, December 2017
- Member, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member, American Alpine Club
- Member, Sierra Club
- University of San Francisco School of LawJD, 2018
- Fresno Pacific UniversityBA, Political Science & International Relations, 2015