David M. Middleton is a Senior Associate in Meyers Nave’s Labor and Employment Practice Group. His practice primarily focuses on litigation of contract and wage and hour issues in arbitration and state court. David also litigates and mediates law enforcement discipline appeal cases and advises clients on a wide range of employment law issues. David has significant experience as a workplace investigator and has both conducted and managed workplace investigations for public and private sector employers.
David has been recognized as a Rising Star in Employment & Labor by the Super Lawyers Magazine. He has written on the topic of arbitration related to litigation raised under the Private Attorney’s General Act and has previously provided commentary to local television affiliates regarding federal and state vaccine, mask, and return to work mandates.
When he is not working, David enjoys officiating high school and college football and is an active board member of the San Diego County Football Officials Association. David also serves as a board member of the Metropolitan Area Advisory Committee, a San Diego nonprofit focusing on maximizing self-sufficiency with families and individuals through high-quality programs and advocacy in its communities. David is currently the president of the Earl B. Gilliam Bar Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization and its mission is to represent the interests of the African-American legal community in San Diego County.
David is a native of Detroit, Michigan. David obtained his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Michigan, where he was a member of the varsity football team. David received his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Illinois-Chicago School of Law (formerly The John Marshall Law School). Prior to joining Meyers Nave, David served as an Associate for a local law firm. His prior experience also includes serving as a judicial law clerk for four years in the United States District Court in the Southern District of California.
Honors and Awards
- San Diego Rising Stars list: Employment & Labor, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2022
- Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court Member (Associate) – 2017-18 National First Place Team Program Award (Unfriendly Skies: The Trial Lawyer and the Untriable Case)
Presentations and Publications
- Author, “Employer Cruises to Victory with Supreme Court Arbitration Ruling,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, June 15, 2022
- Presenter, “Employment Law Update – Public Entity Employers,” Meyers Nave webinar, January 13, 2022
- Presenter, “Employment Law Update – Private/Non-Profit Employers,” Meyers Nave webinar, January 11, 2022
- Interview, “Recent Changes to the Federal Vaccine Mandate,” KUSI News, December 28, 2021
- Author, “The Federal Vaccine Mandate Is Back, for Now,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, December 20, 2021
- Interview, “California Returns To Mask Mandate,” CBS News 8, December 16, 2021
- Interview, “Future of Workplace Vaccine Mandates,” ABC News 10 San Diego, November 15, 2021
- Earl B. Gilliam Bar Foundation, President (2022-Present); Board of Directors, (2019-Present)
- Minority Legal Education Resources, Inc., Bar Process Management Coordinator and Tutor, (2018-Present)
- San Diego County Football Officials Association, Board Member, (2022-2024)
- Board Member, Metropolitan Area Advisory Committee (2022-Present)
- John Marshall Law SchoolJD, 2013
- University of MichiganBA, 2010