Elena O. Gekker
Elena Gekker is an Associate with the Land Use and Environmental Law Practice groups. Her experience includes appellate and trial litigation for corporate and government clients. Elena has seamlessly transitioned her broad litigation experience to California Environmental Quality Act claims, assisting in the representation of public and private clients in both defending and bringing CEQA challenges to various development projects, at trial and appellate level. She has also worked on the pre-litigation CEQA review process. In addition to land use work, Elena also litigates environmental law claims, and has assisted in litigation regarding Proposition 65, the Endangered Species Act, and CERCLA, among others. Elena also provides advisory and transactional support to public and private clients. She has assisted in advising local agencies regarding relevant land use and zoning laws, and other municipality-specific requirements and restrictions.
Prior to joining Meyers Nave, Elena worked for a Top 50 AmLaw firm, representing corporate clients in financial services litigation. She has argued before the California Court of Appeal and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals; served as lead attorney and supervised junior attorneys; participated in formal court mediation and numerous informal settlements; appeared at pre-trial hearings and conferences; drafted pre- and post-trial motions; taken witness depositions and conducted discovery; and, drafted appellate briefs and other submissions to the California Court of Appeal, California Supreme Court, and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, as well as courts of other states.
After law school, Elena served as a research attorney with the San Francisco County Superior Court, where she advised and worked closely with judges and court officers in various departments. During law school, Elena was a legal intern at the San Francisco Office of the City Attorney, where she dealt with matters involving constitutional issues such as private citizen’s rights to record public officials, First Amendment freedom of speech protections, and equal protection applicability to same-gender schools.
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, “CEQA Update: New Laws on Streamlining, Exemptions and Special Legislation for Expediting the CEQA Process,” webinar hosted by the Association of Women in Water, Energy and Environment, July 2019
- Note, “Rape, Sexual Slavery, and Forced Marriage at the International Criminal Court,” 25 Hastings Women’s Law Journal 105 (2014)
- Member, Association of Women in Water, Energy and Environment
- Member, California Women Lawyers
- Member, Phi Alpha Delta
- University of California, Hastings College of the LawJD, 2014
- America University, Washington College of Lawfirst year JD curriculum, 2012
- Notre Dame de Namur UniversityBA, Political Science and History, magna cum laude, 2010