Kiana M. Caton
Kiana Caton is an Associate in Meyers Nave’s Labor and Employment Law Practice Group. She advises private and public entity clients on a wide range of labor and employment law matters. Kiana’s experience includes research and analysis of questions and claims arising under Title VII, ADEA, Section 1983, and the Unruh Civil Rights Act. With respect to public entities, Kiana has also advised on issues pertaining to the Brown Act and the California Public Records Act.
During her time at UC Davis School of Law (King Hall), Kiana served as an intern for the Employment & Administrative Mandate Section of the California Department of Justice, where she assisted with investigating and litigating employment claims against state agencies. Kiana also served as a Judicial Extern for the Honorable Troy L. Nunley at the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California, researching and proposing legal opinions on a breadth of cases ranging from products liability class actions to prisoners’ rights.
Kiana has long been motivated by a desire to serve the community through mentorship and leadership. In law school, she focused heavily on developing her own abilities in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) while simultaneously using her role as a King Hall Negotiations Team board member to teach other King Hall students about the role and value of ADR in modern legal practice. Kiana also served the Black Law Students Association (BLSA) in various capacities on the local and regional level. Among her accomplishments in the local chapter was her creation of a mentorship program between King Hall BLSA and the UC Davis Black Pre-Law Students Association.
Honors and Awards
- UC Davis School of Law – Pro Bono Program Certificate (2020)
- UC Davis School of Law – Public Service Law Program Certificate (2020)
- UC Davis School of Law – Witkin Award for Academic Excellence in Negotiations (2018)
- Earl B. Gilliam Bar Foundation – Casey Gerry Schenk Francavilla Blatt & Penfield Scholarship (2018)
- San Diego State University – Quest for the Best Award (2015)
- San Diego State University – College of Education Student Standout (2015)
Presentations and Publications
- Interview, “Legal Impact After Mask Mandate Ends,” ABC 10 News, February 15, 2022
- Author, “Model Complaint,” UC Davis School of Law Legal Research and Writing Department, Fall 2018
- Member, Earl B. Gilliam Bar Association of San Diego
- UC Davis School of Law – 1L Lawyering Process Teaching Assistant (Spring 2020)
- King Hall Negotiations Team – President (2019-2020), ABA Competition Coach (2019-2020), ABA Regional Competitor (2018), Internal Competitions Co-Chair (2018-2019)
- Western Region of the National Black Law Students Association – Regional Parliamentarian (2019-2020)
- King Hall Black Law Students Association – External Relations Chair (2018-2019)
- San Diego State University – Associated Students Judicial Affairs Council, Chief Justice (2014-2015), Associate Justice (2013-2014)
- University of California at Davis, King Hall School of LawJD, 2020
- San Diego State UniversityBS, Child Development, magna cum laude, 2015