Kristopher Kokotaylo serves as City Attorney for the City of Union City, Assistant City Attorney for the City of San Leandro, Interim City Attorney for the City of Newark, General Counsel for the West Contra Costa Transportation Advisory Committee, and District Counsel for the Stege Sanitary District. Kris focuses his practice on public law matters related to land use, real estate, construction, constitutional law, code enforcement, the Public Records Act, and the Brown Act.
Kris advises on novel issues facing municipalities and special districts and assists his clients with updating their policies and procedures in response to changes in the law. For example, Kris has worked with public entities to craft and revise local laws and regulations related to tobacco retailers, second-hand smoke, massage businesses, drone use, and many other issues. He has significant experience in elections and conflict of interest laws, and has prepared several ballot measures for local taxes. Kris has authored numerous publications and is frequently requested to speak on topics including public records, ethics, open meeting laws, and the regulatory and privacy issues regarding drones.
Kris has handled numerous unique legal and regulatory challenges faced by a wide range of special district clients, such as water, fire protection, transit, sanitation, and parks and recreation.
Kris serves on the Board of Directors for Spectrum Community Services, a non-profit organization that assists low-income and disadvantaged individuals, families and seniors in their efforts to live independently.
Before joining Meyers Nave, Kris worked on policy issues for Alameda County Supervisor Nate Miley. He also served as a graduate law clerk and External Bridge Fellowship Attorney for the Alameda County Office of the County Counsel. These experiences have given Kris the background to undertake a range of matters, from routine to highly complex, in a concise and reliable manner.
While in law school, Kris was a member of the Thurston Honor Society. Kris has also volunteered as an alumni coach for the Hastings Moot Court Intercollegiate Competition Team.
Honors and Awards
- "Hearts of Hayward" award for community service, City of Hayward's 39th Annual Volunteer Recognition and Awards Dinner, 2016
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, “Ethics: AB 1234 Compliance Training,” California Special Districts Association District Network Workshop, 2018
- Presenter, “Understanding the Brown Act,” California Special Districts Association Workshop, 2017
- Author, “Small Drone Users Assess Appellate Court’s Decision to Bar FAA from Requiring Hobbyists to Register Drones,” The Recorder, June 29, 2017
- Presenter, “Legal Considerations: UAS/Drone Technology Applications in Emergency Response Programs,” UAS/Drone Symposium, 2017
- Author, “Drone Law Update: Appellate Court Bars FAA from Requiring Hobbyists to Register,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, 2017
- Presenter, "Drones In Your District: Technology, Existing Law and Privacy," California Special Districts Association Annual Conference, 2016
- Author, "Drones in Your District: Technology, Existing Law, and Privacy Concerns," Special District Association magazine, July-August 2016
- Presenter, "Public Safety Records Disclosure," East Bay Regional Park District, 2016
- Author, "Privacy Expectations in an Era of Drones," California Litigation magazine, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2016
- Presenter, "AB 1234 Ethics Training," Stege Sanitary District, 2016
- Presenter, "Navigating Boundaries and Limitations on Municipal Drone Use," Central Valley City Attorneys' Association, 2016
- Presenter, "What You Need to Know About Public Records and Open Meetings," Lorman Educational Services, 2016
- Presenter, "Drone Technology, Existing Law, and Privacy Concerns," Emerging Technology & Privacy Conference, The State Bar of California, 2015
- Author, “Drone Regulation Update: California Legislature Proposes Four Bills; FAA Issues Proposed Rules; White House Issues Presidential Memo,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, 2015
- Author, "A Primer on California and Federal Drone Legislation and Regulations," techwire.net, March, 2015
- Author, "Drones and the Potential Redefinition of Privacy," Law 360, April, 2014
- Presenter, "Complying with AB 1149," Municipal Information Systems Association of California Winter Quarterly Meeting, 2014
- Presenter, "How Cities Can Better Protect Youth from Nicotine Addiction: A workshop on understanding and adopting a local tobacco retailer license," Alameda County Tobacco Control Coalition, 2014
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area
- Member, Filipino Bar Association of Northern California
- Member, Board of Directors, Spectrum Community Services
- University of California, Hastings College of the LawJD, cum laude, 2010
- San Diego State UniversityBA, summa cum laude, Political Science with Psychology minor, 2007