Billing Specialist – Oakland
Meyers Nave is recruiting for a Billing Specialist. This is a nonexempt position reporting to the Billing Manager and is located in the Firm’s Oakland office.
ABOUT MEYERS NAVE
Meyers Nave has an exceptional reputation in California as a go-to law firm that clients rely on to handle their highest profile, most complicated and often most controversial transactions and litigated matters. Attorneys work in multi-disciplinary teams to help public agencies, private businesses and non-profit organizations navigate complex local, state and federal laws and regulations. Meyers Nave was founded over 30 years ago and has grown into a state-wide firm with approximately 65 attorneys in five locations.
The Billing Specialist will have overall responsibility for performing full-cycle billing functions and will be expected to provide outstanding service to the attorneys assigned to him/her, clients and others in the Firm. The position requires that the individual be committed to quality, customer service, teamwork and be able to perform in a fast-paced environment.
Management retains the right to add to or change the functions of this position at any time: The position’s essential functions include:
- Generate monthly pre-bills and draft bills for attorney review;
- Make necessary changes based upon attorney request and paying close attention to client billing guidelines and client contracts;
- Provide supporting copy of expense backup to accompany invoices, including preparing large vendor invoices for disbursements only;
- Submit invoices in different e-billing portals with strong understanding of the function of each e-billing portal;
- Prepare final bills and ensure the distribution of the bills to the client via regular mail, email or e-bill;
- Assist teammates on billing during high-peak period, coordinate with accounting department to resolve any billing issues;
- Process revised invoices upon request of attorney and/or client to ensure billing accuracy;
- Facilitate annual CPI increase with billing manager to process and ensure the update is implemented accordingly in the system and on the invoice;
- Provide accurate reports upon billing attorney and/or client request in a timely manner;
- Assist billing attorney and secretary in creating and maintaining matter budgets and matter status reports on a monthly basis;
- Update Client Billing Information Sheet periodically and create new client folders on a monthly basis;
- Work closely with the billing attorney and secretary to resolve any billing questions and or inquiries, including collections;
- Communicate closely with billing attorney and/or client regarding outstanding AR balance and provide the update on collections to the supervisor regularly;
- Communicate regularly with billing attorney and /or client for collections update as well as work closely with billing manager to ensure payment receipt on a regular basis;
- Prepare daily deposit and post cash receipts and scan checks and backup documents for online filing;
- Other functions as assigned by management, including necessary overtime when needed.
The following qualifications are required unless otherwise noted:
- Minimum of 3 years work experience as a Billing Specialist using billing software (experience in a law firm or professional services firm is preferred);
- Must have a strong understanding of the different e-billing portals and their functions;
- Must have strong technology skills including MS office Suite and an ability to leverage technology in work processes;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high ethical standards and strict confidentiality of all information that the employee may receive as a result of her or his role;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and update skills as required by the position;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints and within budget;
- Strong written and verbal skills; and
- Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate in person and by phone with a diverse group of attorneys, staff and vendors to provide information with courtesy and tact.
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org