Director of Business Development and Marketing (Oakland, Los Angeles or San Diego)
Meyers Nave is recruiting for a Director of Business Development and Marketing. This is an exempt position reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and is located in the Firm’s Oakland, Los Angeles or San Diego office.
ABOUT MEYERS NAVE
Meyers Nave has an exceptional reputation in California as a go-to law firm that clients rely on to handle their highest profile, most complicated and often most controversial transactions and litigated matters. Attorneys work in multi-disciplinary teams to help public agencies, private businesses and non-profit organizations navigate complex local, state and federal laws and regulations. Meyers Nave was founded over 30 years ago and has grown into a state-wide firm with approximately 65 attorneys in five locations.
The Director of Business Development and Marketing will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day management of the Marketing Team and ensuring high quality service delivery to Firm attorneys. This position works closely with the Firm’s Executive Committee, Client Growth Partner, and Industry and Practice Group Leaders in support of client growth and development initiatives to realize the Firm’s goals.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Provide proactive leadership and direction to the department, developing skills and capabilities within the team that will ensure excellence in service to the Firm’s lawyers and clients;
- Advise and mentor team members to help them progress in their individual goals and ensure that project goals are met in a timely fashion;
- Ensure proper staffing, reporting structures, resource allocation, and trainings to support the success of the department;
- Set and monitor performance metrics for the department to measure the overall effectiveness of programs, initiatives, and tools, including all business development initiatives;
- Provide leadership in skills trainings across a wide variety of topics including substantive legal topics, business development, project management, and communications;
Client Growth and Retention
- Support the continuous development of processes and tools to support client growth opportunities and related experience tracking;
- Collaborate with Firm Management and Client Growth Partner to develop client development strategies and initiatives, client teams, and client feedback programs;
- Work with Industry Groups, Practice Group Leaders, Finance, and other teams to analyze and monitor the progress of business development;
- Guide the department in leveraging the Firm’s differentiators and reputation so they are maximized in the market, including the production of market appropriate materials, PR activities, website development, awards, and directories;
Proposals (RFPs), Pitches, and Pursuits
- Oversee the ongoing development of the pitch team, leading complex pitches/RFPs as needed;
- Direct and guide the pitch team in executing pitch materials and presentations;
- Oversee the proposal response process ensuring proper execution on all aspects of proposal submission;
Practice/Industry Business Development
- Lead business development initiatives aimed at nurturing client relationships, including client feedback and client teams;
- Manage strategic business development initiatives at the Firm, practice, industry, and individual attorney level;
- Develop group and individual business plans in support of the Firm’s strategic plan;
- Review and interpret client, financial, industry, competitor, and other data to help identify cross-selling, profile-raising and client-development opportunities;
- Ensure that written content and marketing toolkits for each practice and industry area are maintained and align with strategy;
- Collect, analyze, and pro-actively utilize ROI business development activities;
General Essential Functions
- Manage relationships with vendors, clients, and internal stakeholders;
- Travel to Meyers Nave offices and other locations as needed to support initiatives and participate in activities;
- Work extended hours as needed;
- Work cordially, cooperatively, and productively with all firm employees;
- Attend work on-site on a regular, punctual and reliable schedule;
- Manage multiple problems and projects at once;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during high-energy situations involving frequently changing circumstances; and
- Other functions as assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the functions of this position at any time.
The following qualifications are required unless otherwise noted:
- 5+ years of relevant experience and knowledge of the internal workings of in a law firm, professional services, or consulting firm;
- 5-7 years of previous experience managing and developing a team with ability to mentor and provide timely feedback;
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, marketing, or a related field, or the equivalent professional experience including strong knowledge of business development, marketing, and client relations; JD, MBA, or MS degree preferred;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and ability to develop partnerships and influence executive management, attorneys, and clients;
- Strong knowledge of the US legal and business markets and client needs with the ability to analyze and translate emerging issues into business development opportunities for the Firm;
- Ability to proofread for style, accuracy, and presentation sometimes working on these simultaneously;
- Prior involvement in the submission of awards and legal directories;
- Awareness about ethical rules and laws affecting legal marketing;
- Demonstrated experience deploying and managing strategy, processes, and policies within a budgetary and time-critical framework;
- Experience leading significant client pitches.
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law. Meyers Nave will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com
Direct applicants only. The Firm is not accepting submissions from recruiters for this position.