Director of Human Resources (Oakland or Los Angeles, CA) – DRAFT
Meyers Nave is recruiting for a Director of Human Resources. This is an exempt position reporting to the Firm’s Chief Operating Officer and is located in the Firm’s Oakland or Los Angeles office.
ABOUT MEYERS NAVE
Meyers Nave proudly celebrates decades of wonderful clients, dedicated employees and precedent-setting work. We greatly appreciate the opportunities we have to help clients resolve their most complex and highest priority transaction, litigation and regulatory compliance challenges. We are proud of the differences that we have made together in the communities where we live and work throughout California. Our successful past sets the stage for an exciting future and our ongoing growth powers the momentum that moves us forward. We thank all the clients, attorneys and professional staff who have been part of the pioneering journey that brought us where we are today and we look forward to everyone who will join us in the years to come.
The Director of Human Resources oversees human resources for lawyer and non-lawyer staff, talent management, professional development, benefits, and performance management and participates in fostering an organizational culture that is committed to professional excellence and mutual respect and that values differing perspectives and backgrounds.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement HR policies to assure compliance with federal, state and local laws, and review and revise current policies in order to maintain compliance;
- Work closely with HR team and directors to ensure that policies and procedures are effective for the Firm’s needs and consistently applied;
- Work closely with Firm’s General Counsel on internal investigations, progressive discipline plans and terminations;
- Provide guidance to the HR team on the implementation and administration of benefit plans, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance with Firm plans and federal, state and local laws;
- Prepare HR annual budget as well as long term fiscal plans;
- Direct the development, implementation and adherence to budgets and systems to achieve operating and financial objectives;
- Work with Firm’s Chief Operating Officer, Principals, Practice Group leaders, Directors and Managers to proactively assess and address personnel issues and determine course of action;
- Provide coaching and counseling;
- Facilitate the recruiting process for all legal and non-legal departments in all offices;
- Obtain necessary approvals and determine hiring strategy for approved positions;
- Screen, facilitate and review background investigations;
- Oversee and administer the performance management process for attorneys and office support staff;
- Administer annual salary and bonus review for office support staff;
- Prepare materials and conduct administrative orientation for new hires;
- Coordinate exit interviews and departure process;
- Travel to all Meyers Naves offices on an as-needed basis and as requested by the Firm;
- Work extended hours as needed;
- Work cordially, cooperatively, and productively with all Firm employees;
- Attend work on-site on a regular, punctual and reliable schedule;
- Manage multiple problems and projects at once;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during high-energy situations involving frequently changing circumstances; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the functions of this position at any time.
- Maintain a current level of professional knowledge in human resources functions and administration;
- Maintain a professional network and key resource contacts;
- Accept responsibility for his/her individual personal growth and development; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Internal: Maintain frequent contacts with all Firm employees for the purpose of exchanging information relative to human resource matters, and to resolve questions, problems, and/or satisfy requests for data, analysis, and research. It is anticipated that frequent interaction between the Director of Human Resources and Firm partners will be required.
- External: Maintain contacts, as necessary, with business entities for the purpose of exchanging information and resolving differences. Maintain contacts with the Firm’s outside employment counsel. Maintain contacts with counterparts in other law firms and individuals in trade associations and user groups to exchange information.
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree preferred;
- 8+ years of employment law or human resources management experience;
- Strong influencing, coaching, and conflict resolution skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with employees with varied backgrounds and levels of responsibility;
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) and a command of the English language, including proper spelling and grammar;
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and respond quickly to changing priorities;
- Ability to work well under stress;
- Ability to evaluate problems and formulate successful solutions;
- Ability to work independently with little or no direction; and
- Computer literacy and familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation programs.
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law. Meyers Nave will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org