Executive Legal Secretary – 5+ Years Experience (San Diego, CA)
Meyers Nave is recruiting for a full-time Legal Secretary and Executive Assistant to our Managing Principal. This is a nonexempt position reporting to the Director of Administration and is located in the Firm’s San Diego downtown office. This is a primarily on-site role.
ABOUT MEYERS NAVE
Meyers Nave has an exceptional reputation in California as a go-to law firm that clients rely on to handle their highest profile, most complicated and often most controversial transactions and litigated matters. Attorneys work in multi-disciplinary teams to help public agencies, private businesses and non-profit organizations navigate complex local, state and federal laws and regulations. Meyers Nave was founded over 30 years ago and has grown into a state-wide firm with approximately 65 attorneys in five locations.
The Litigation Legal Secretary is responsible for providing administrative support to attorneys on a day-to-day basis, as well as working closely with clients and other team members to ensure effective and timely attention to important legal matters.
This position will support the firm’s Trial & Litigation practice group, with a focus on Eminent Domain cases. Our Eminent Domain practice is well known for handling large transportation and infrastructure projects, including a variety of large scale transit and sports stadium developments; attorneys in this group commonly assist public entities in obtaining the parcels of land needed for these important public projects, and are typically in trial several times a year. The broader Trial & Litigation group is focused on complex crisis litigation in the areas of constitutional law, wildfire litigation, COVID-19 litigation, civil rights claims in the land use context, First Amendment claims, takings, and class action litigation. The Group is actively engaged in all phases of litigation in both federal and state court from initial pleadings through discovery, dispositive motion practice, trial, and appeal.
In addition to performing legal secretary duties for the Trial & Litigation group, this role will serve as Executive Assistant for the Firm’s Managing Principal, based in San Diego.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Draft, review and revise legal and non-legal documents including correspondence and memoranda, pleadings, PowerPoint presentations, budgets, etc.;
- Format court pleadings according to applicable court rules and generate tables of authorities and tables of contents using Firm software;
- Creating shell documents for various pleadings needed by attorneys;
- Demonstrate understanding of, and facility with, local rules of court, municipal, state and federal rules of procedure;
- File documents with courts and administrative bodies, including electronic filing where applicable;
- Arrange for service of pleadings and subpoenas;
- Assist with preparation for and scheduling of meetings, teleconferences, conferences and travel;
- Organize documents, and prepare binders and files to house relevant legal and non-legal materials;
- Review incoming mail and route to attorneys, the Firm’s Calendaring Department, and others;
- Maintain electronic and physical case files;
- Partner with Firm’s Records Group to create, review and maintain electronic and physical case files;
- Assist with tracking and management of various projects;
- Maintain shared office calendars and individual attorney/director calendars in Outlook, partnering with the Firm’s Calendar Group when necessary;
- Demonstrate understanding of calendaring practices;
- Enter attorneys’ billable time as requested according to Firm billing policies and coordinate with Firm’s billing personnel to facilitate attorneys’ timely review of monthly billing statements;
- Proofread documents for spelling, grammar, punctuation and formatting errors;
- Prepare check requests and coordinate payment to vendors when necessary;
- Prepare expense reports and book travel arrangements;
- Answer phones for attorneys/directors, direct incoming phone calls and greet clients and guests;
- Regular, reliable and punctual on-site attendance;
- Back up secretaries during planned and unplanned absences;
- Take direction and apply corrections to future revisions;
- Partner with attorneys to proactively manage their business development activities;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during highly stressful circumstances;
- Demonstrate excellent customer service;
- Build relationships with key staff in client offices, including periodically traveling to client sites;
- Work cordially, cooperatively and productively with Firm employees; and
- Work overtime as needed to complete essential functions.
Management retains the right to add to or change the essential functions of this position at any time.
The following qualifications are required unless otherwise noted:
- High school diploma required; Bachelor’s degree or paralegal certificate preferred;
- Minimum of five years of legal secretary/legal assistant experience;
- Prior litigation experience in California state and federal court is required; appellate experience is preferred;
- Superior customer service skills;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to contribute to streamlining processes;
- Accuracy in grammar, spelling and punctuation;
- Ability to work well under pressure and multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Pro-active self-starter with ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment;
- Experience using Microsoft Office (experience using Office 2016 Suite is preferred); and
- Prior experience with iManage, Best Authority, time and billing systems, and Adobe Professional is preferred.
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law. Meyers Nave will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with state law.
The salary range for this California-based role is $85,000 – $95,000, and represents the firm’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting. Actual compensation will depend upon a number of factors, including but not limited to, the candidate’s years of experience, qualifications, skill set and office location.
Meyers Nave complies with the requirements of all applicable California and federal employment laws, including those protecting disabled individuals. If you have difficulty using our online application system due to a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact us via email or phone: email@example.com or (510) 808-2000.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org