At Meyers Nave, legal secretaries are a vital part of our legal teams. Without their support, we could not provide the high level of service we do to clients and the communities we serve. As a customer service driven organization, our legal secretaries are often the front line in providing customer service to our external and internal clients. Their commitment to excellence helps to achieve more as a team than we could as individuals. Thank you for your interest in becoming part of Meyers Nave’s secretary team.
The Litigation Legal Secretary is responsible for providing administrative support to attorneys on a day-to-day basis, as well as working closely with clients and other team members to ensure effective and timely attention to important legal matters.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to the following functions:
- Consistently occupy desk during regular business hours to answer phones for attorneys, direct incoming phone calls, attend to immediate needs of attorneys, and greet clients and guests (physical presence at desk is required for performance of these essential functions);
- Back up other secretaries during planned and unplanned secretary absences;
- Draft and revise various documents including pleadings, correspondence and memoranda;
- Correctly format court pleadings according to applicable court rules including the auto-generation of tables of authorities (TOAs) and tables of contents (TOCs);
- Research state and federal rules of court and work with attorneys to ensure adherence to rules of court and codes of civil procedure;
- Timely file court documents with various courts and administrative bodies, including electronic filing where applicable;
- Assist with preparation for meetings, depositions, hearings, mediations, trials and other litigation proceedings;
- Review incoming mail and correctly route to appropriate parties, including to attorneys and to the Firm’s Calendaring Department;
- Review and maintain case files and partner with Firm’s Records Department to ensure proper maintenance of case files; locate relevant case information for attorneys;
- Work closely with Calendaring Department, attorneys, paralegals, secretaries and other Firm employees to confirm dates are calendared appropriately and that attorney and department calendars are maintained;
- Maintain attorneys’ individual calendars to track meetings, hearings, depositions, court dates and other due dates and maintain attorneys’ contacts;
- Enter time attorneys according to Firm billing practices as requested and coordinate with Firm’s billing personnel to facilitate attorneys’ timely review of monthly billing statements and invoicing of clients;
- Prepare attorneys’ check requests and coordinate payment to vendors when necessary;
- Prepare expense reports and work closely with Travel Coordinator on travel arrangements;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during highly stressful circumstances;
- Demonstrate excellent customer support;
- Work cordially, cooperatively and productively with Firm employees;
- Work overtime as needed to complete essential functions; and
- Other functions that may be assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the duties of this position at any time.
- High school diploma required; Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- A Paralegal Certificate and hybrid paralegal/secretary experience is desired.
- Prior Eminent Domain experience is also highly desirable, though not required.
- Minimum of three years of litigation legal secretary experience, preferably supporting a Partner/Principal, of Counsel or Senior Attorney;
- Superior customer service skills;
- Accuracy in grammar, spelling and punctuation;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task effectively;
- Self-starter with ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment;
- Knowledge of and experience using Microsoft Office (experience using Office 2010 Suite is preferred);
- Knowledge of and experience with an electronic document management system, time-entry program and calendaring program;
- Prior experience with iManage, Best Authority and CompuLaw is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation and benefits. Meyers Nave does not discriminate on the basis of any protected category, including but not limited to race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, or military and veteran status.
Please submit cover letter and resume to Kara Fraser, Human Resources and Office Manager by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.