Jr. Construction Litigation Paralegal – Oakland
Meyers Nave is recruiting for a Jr. Construction Litigation Paralegal. This is a nonexempt position reporting to the Director of Administration and is located in the Firm’s Oakland office.
ABOUT MEYERS NAVE
Meyers Nave has an exceptional reputation in California as a go-to law firm that clients rely on to handle their highest profile, most complicated and often most controversial transactions and litigated matters. Attorneys work in multi-disciplinary teams to help public agencies, private businesses and non-profit organizations navigate complex local, state and federal laws and regulations. Meyers Nave was founded over 30 years ago and has grown into a state-wide firm with approximately 65 attorneys in five locations.
A Litigation Paralegal is responsible for providing Firm attorneys with the full range of litigation paralegal support.
This position will be assigned to the Construction & Facilities Practice Group and will take direction from Construction & Facilities Practice Group attorneys, in addition taking direction from the Director of Administration.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with attorneys and team members to oversee case management as directed.;
- Draft and review legal documents;
- Maintain case files and update discovery logs and indices;
- Organize and maintain master documents, document lists, and document databases;
- Support and manage document productions;
- Assist with deposition and hearing preparation, including identifying and gathering exhibit documents and creating witness outlines;
- Cite-check briefs;
- Draft and arrange for service of subpoenas;
- Obtain case-related documents informally from third parties;
- Monitor pending decisions and conduct legal research;
- Assist with document review and coordinate with Litigation Support Group for back-end database management using Concordance;
- Perform litigation support duties such as Bates stamping exhibits, preparing spreadsheets and CDs, hyperlinking PDFs, reviewing litigation dockets, and ensuring that dates are calendared correctly;
- Satisfy an annual 1575 billable hour budget;
- Complete in a timely manner both (1) daily, accurate, and detailed billable-time entries and (2) time cards;
- Maintain regular, reliable, and punctual on-site attendance;
- Work overtime hours as needed;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during stressful, high-energy circumstances involving frequently changing priorities;
- Demonstrate excellent customer support;
- Work cordially, cooperatively and productively with Firm employees; and
- Other functions as assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the functions of this position at any time.
- Maintain a professional network and key resource contacts.
The following qualifications are required:
- Ability to work and bill as a paralegal under Ca Bus. & Prof. Code section 6450;
- A bachelor’s degree preferred;
- One to three years of experience working as a paralegal with a law firm or in-house legal department;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite 2016;
- Understanding and knowledge of legal procedures, rules of counsel, and local rules;
- Experience with eDiscovery;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and respond quickly to changing priorities;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work well under stress;
- Strong analytical thinking skills;
- Ability to work independently with little or no direction; and
- Ability to effectively function in a team environment, including but not limited to the ability to be open minded, cordial and cooperative with Firm employee
The following qualifications are preferred:
- Construction industry experience and/or work in a construction related legal practice;
- Prior experience with Concordance (or other eDiscovery software), LiveNote, and Adobe Acrobat Pro XI;
- Strong legal research database skills and experience with Westlaw and/or Lexis;
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com