Legal Billing Specialist
Meyers Nave is recruiting for a Legal Billing Specialist. This is a nonexempt position reporting to the Billing and Collections Supervisor and is located in the Firm’s Oakland office.
ABOUT MEYERS NAVE
Meyers Nave has an exceptional reputation in California as a go-to law firm that clients rely on to handle their highest profile, most complicated and often most controversial transactions and litigated matters. Attorneys work in multi-disciplinary teams to help public agencies, private businesses and non-profit organizations navigate complex local, state and federal laws and regulations. Meyers Nave was founded over 30 years ago and has grown into a state-wide firm with approximately 65 attorneys in five locations.
The Legal Billing Specialist will have overall responsibility for performing full-cycle billing functions and will be expected to provide outstanding service to the attorneys assigned to him/her, clients and others in the Firm. The position requires that the individual be committed to quality, customer service, teamwork and be able to perform in a fast-paced environment.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Generate monthly pre-bills and draft bills for attorney review;
- Make edits and revisions based upon attorney requests and in compliance with client billing guidelines and client contracts;
- Submit invoices in different e-billing portals with strong understanding of the function of each e-billing portal;
- Prepare final bills, cover sheets, certification, and ensure the distribution of the bills to the client via regular mail, email or e-bill;
- Provide supporting copy of expense backup to accompany invoices, including preparing large vendor invoices for disbursements only;
- Assist teammates on billing during high-peak period, coordinate with accounting department to resolve any billing issues;
- Maintain and update Client Billing Information Sheets, Budget Tracking Spreadsheet, and update client billing information in accounting system;
- Accurately respond to Client/Matter billing inquiries in a timely manner;
- Maintain accurate and up to date matter budgets and matter status reports in compliance with client billing guidelines;
- Communicate closely with billing attorney and/or client regarding outstanding AR balances; and assist with client collections as needed;
- Backup daily cash deposit and post cash receipts, scan checks and backup documents;
- Work cordially, cooperatively, and productively with all firm employees;
- Attend work on-site on a regular, punctual and reliable schedule;
- Manage multiple problems and projects at once;
- Demonstrate excellent customer service;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during high-energy situations involving frequently changing circumstances;
- Work extended hours as needed; and
- Other functions as assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the functions of this position at any time.
The following qualifications are required unless otherwise noted:
- Minimum of 3 years work experience as a Legal Billing Specialist using billing software (prior experience with Rippe & Kingston a plus);
- High school diploma or equivalent required, Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- Hands-on familiarity with electronic billing (ledes) and the submission of invoices to e- billing portals;
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) with the ability to work effectively with a diverse team of attorneys and staff;
- High organizational and time management skills with the ability to multi-task , work independently, and pay attention to details;
- Strong technology skills including MS office , PDF, and an ability to leverage technology in work processes;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high ethical standards and strict confidentiality of all information that the employee may receive as a result of her or his role;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and update skills as required by the position;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints and within budget; and
- Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate in person and by phone with a diverse group of attorneys, staff and vendors to provide information with courtesy and tact.
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org