Legal Practice Assistant – Labor & Employment Group (San Diego, CA)
ABOUT MEYERS NAVE
Meyers Nave has a special reputation in California as a go-to law firm that clients rely on to handle their highest profile, most complicated and often most controversial transactions and litigated matters. Attorneys in the Firm’s five California offices work in multi-disciplinary teams to help public agencies, private businesses and public-private partnerships navigate an extensive range of local, state and federal laws and regulations. The results of our work and the expertise of our attorneys have led to numerous prestigious awards and honors, including Law360’s “California Powerhouse,” The Recorder’s “Giant Slayer” and The Daily Journal’s “Top Defense Result,” as well as many attorneys recognized in Best Lawyers in America and SuperLawyers. We are proud to handle precedent-setting matters for California’s legal community.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Working in our San Diego office, this hybrid (secretarial/assistant) full-time non-exempt position performs a variety of administrative support duties and delivers high-quality services to internal and external clients, exhibiting a commitment to integrity and excellence. The position, reporting to the Director of Administration, requires thorough knowledge of all firm and practice specific administrative processes and procedures, information technology systems, research tools and a broad-based understanding of the clients, matters and associated practices. The scope of responsibilities includes prioritizing, managing and following through on multiple projects, and communicating effectively, courteously and professionally with clients, attorneys, staff and peers. This role has no direct reports.
Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Communication: Effective communication, to include draft, review and revision of documents, including correspondence, reports, pleading and memoranda.
- Document Processing: Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to format court pleadings according to applicable court rules and generate TOAs and TOCs using Firm software, which implies a depth of knowledge regarding court rules (federal, state), and in-person/electronic filing. Knowledge of Federal and State position statement processes is a plus.
- Calendaring: Superior organizational skills with a demonstrated understanding of calendaring practices (e.g., CompuLaw), to keep attorney(s) abreast of upcoming deadlines.
- Technology: Literacy in various software packages (e.g., MS Office, iManage, CCC Macros, time and billing software, Adobe), to include quick and accurate typing speed.
- Collaborate closely with employees to ensure calendars are formatted and prepared in accordance with Firm best practices;
- Maintain composure, efficiency and accuracy under high work volume circumstances;
- Demonstrate excellent support by working cordially, cooperatively and productively with all Firm employees; and
- Other functions as assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the functions of this position at any time.
The following qualifications are required:
- Bachelor’s degree or paralegal certificate;
- Minimum of seven (7) years of legal secretary/legal assistant experience;
- Prior litigation experience in California state and federal court is required; appellate experience is preferred;
- Ability to work well under pressure and multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment;
- Responds to requests for service and assistance and meets commitments;
- Speaks clearly and persuasively; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings;
- Writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet needs;
- Ability to work with little supervision; prioritizes and anticipates work needs; works well under occasional periods of pressure and short deadlines.
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law. Meyers Nave will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with state law.
The pay range for this position, working in our San Diego office is $87,500 to $95,000, per annum, paid semi-monthly, depending on experience.
Meyers Nave complies with the requirements of all applicable California and federal employment laws, including those protecting disabled individuals. If you have difficulty using our online application system due to a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact us via email or phone: firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 808-2000.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should click here to apply. Please submit a cover letter and resume ONLY if you meet the requested criteria.