Legal Practice Assistant – Government & Regulatory Affairs (Oakland, CA)
Meyers Nave is recruiting for a full time Legal Practice Assistant. This is a nonexempt position reporting to the Director of Administration and is located in the Firm’s Oakland office.
ABOUT MEYERS NAVE
Meyers Nave has an exceptional reputation in California as a go-to law firm that clients rely on to handle their highest profile, most complicated and often most controversial transactions and litigated matters. Attorneys work in multi-disciplinary teams to help public agencies, private businesses, and non-profit organizations navigate complex local, state and federal laws and regulations. Meyers Nave was founded over 35 years ago and has grown into a state-wide firm with approximately 65 attorneys in four locations.
The Legal Practice Assistant is responsible for providing daily administrative support to assigned attorneys.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Draft, review and revise legal and non-legal documents including correspondence and memoranda, pleadings, PowerPoint presentations, budgets, etc.;
- Coordinate and assist with preparation for and scheduling of meetings, teleconferences, conferences and travel;
- Organize documents, and prepare binders and files to house relevant legal and non- legal materials;
- Review incoming correspondence and route as appropriate;
- Manage multiple problems and projects at once;
- Partner with Firm departments to accomplish tasks and projects;
- Assist with tracking and management of various projects;
- Maintain shared office calendars and individual attorney/director calendars in Outlook;
- Enter attorneys’ billable time as requested according to Firm billing policies and coordinate with Firm’s billing personnel to facilitate attorneys’ timely review of monthly billing statements;
- Prepare check requests and coordinate payment to vendors when necessary;
- Prepare expense reports and work closely with Travel Coordinator on travel arrangements;
- Answer phones for attorneys, direct incoming phone calls and greet clients and guests;
- Back up other Legal Secretaries and office administrative staff during planned and unplanned absences;
- Take direction and apply corrections to future revisions;
- Partner with attorneys to proactively manage their business development activities;
- Demonstrate understanding of municipal law documents, including staff reports, resolutions, ordinances, agendas and notices;
- Familiarity with litigation secretarial duties a plus (i.e. rules of court, formatting pleadings, TOA/TOC, e-filing, etc.);
- Demonstrate excellent customer service;
- Work cordially, cooperatively and productively with Firm employees; and
- Work extended hours as needed;
- Work cordially, cooperatively, and productively with all firm employees;
- Attend work on-site on a regular, punctual and reliable schedule;
- Manage multiple problems and projects at once;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during high-energy situations involving frequently changing circumstances; and
- Other functions as assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the essential functions of this position at any time.
The following qualifications are required unless otherwise noted:
- Minimum of three years of legal secretary/executive assistant/legal assistant experience, preferably supporting an attorney or executive level manager;
- Litigation experience helpful, but not required;
- Prior experience in Government and Regulatory Affairs (public law) preferred;
- Superior customer service skills;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to contribute to streamlining processes;
- Accuracy in grammar, spelling and punctuation;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Pro-active self-starter with ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment;
- Experience using Microsoft Office, including strong knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel (experience using Office 365 is preferred);
- Prior experience with CCC Macros, iManage, time and billing systems, and Adobe Professional is preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high ethical standards and strict confidentiality of all information that the employee may receive as a result of her or his role;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and update skills as required by the position;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints and within budget;
- Strong written and verbal skills; and
- Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate in person and by phone with a diverse group of attorneys, staff and vendors to provide information with courtesy and tact.
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law. Meyers Nave will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with state law.
The pay range for this position is $31.00 – $41.00 per hour, and represents the firm’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting. Actual compensation will depend upon a number of factors, including but not limited to, the candidate’s years of experience, qualifications, and skill set.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should click here to apply.
Meyers Nave complies with the requirements of all applicable California and federal employment laws, including those protecting disabled individuals. If you have difficulty using our online application system due to a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact us via email or phone: email@example.com or (510) 808-2000.