Litigation Legal Secretary – Los Angeles
Meyers Nave is recruiting for a Litigation Legal Secretary. This is a nonexempt position reporting to the Director of Administration and is located in the Firm’s Los Angeles office.
ABOUT MEYERS NAVE
Meyers Nave has an exceptional reputation in California as a go-to law firm that clients rely on to handle their highest profile, most complicated and often most controversial transactions and litigated matters. Attorneys work in multi-disciplinary teams to help public agencies, private businesses and non-profit organizations navigate complex local, state and federal laws and regulations. Meyers Nave was founded over 30 years ago and has grown into a state-wide firm with approximately 65 attorneys in five locations.
The Litigation Legal Secretary is responsible for providing administrative support to attorneys on a day-to-day basis, as well as working closely with clients and other team members to ensure effective and timely attention to important legal matters.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Draft, review and revise legal and non-legal documents including correspondence and memoranda, pleadings, PowerPoint presentations, budgets, etc.;
- Format court pleadings according to applicable court rules and generate tables of authorities and tables of contents using Firm software;
- Demonstrate understanding of, and facility with, local rules of court, municipal, state and federal rules of procedure;
- File documents with courts and administrative bodies, including electronic filing where applicable;
- Arrange for service of pleadings and subpoenas;
- Assist with preparation for and scheduling of meetings, teleconferences, conferences and travel;
- Organize documents, and prepare binders and files to house relevant legal and non-legal materials;
- Review incoming mail and route to attorneys, the Firm’s Calendaring Department, and others;
- Maintain electronic and physical case files;
- Demonstrate understanding of municipal law documents, including staff reports, resolutions, ordinances, agendas and notices;
- Partner with Firm’s Records Group to create, review and maintain electronic and physical case files;
- Assist with tracking and management of various projects;
- Maintain shared office calendars and individual attorney/director calendars in Outlook, partnering with the Firm’s Calendar Group when necessary;
- Enter attorneys’ billable time as requested according to Firm billing policies and coordinate with Firm’s billing personnel to facilitate attorneys’ timely review of monthly billing statements;
- Prepare check requests and coordinate payment to vendors when necessary;
- Prepare expense reports and book travel arrangements;
- Answer phones for attorneys/directors, direct incoming phone calls and greet clients and guests;
- Regular, reliable and punctual on-site attendance;
- Back up secretaries during planned and unplanned absences;
- Take direction and apply corrections to future revisions;
- Partner with attorneys to proactively manage their business development activities;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during highly stressful circumstances;
- Demonstrate excellent customer service;
- Build relationships with key staff in client offices, including periodically traveling to client sites;
- Work cordially, cooperatively and productively with Firm employees; and
- Work overtime as needed to complete essential functions.
Management retains the right to add to or change the essential functions of this position at any time.
The following qualifications are required unless otherwise noted:
- High school diploma required; Bachelor’s degree or paralegal certificate preferred;
- Minimum of five years of legal secretary/legal assistant experience;
- Prior litigation experience is required; appellate experience is preferred;
- Superior customer service skills;
- Ability to take direction and apply corrections to future revisions;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to contribute to streamlining processes;
- Accuracy in grammar, spelling and punctuation;
- Ability to work well under pressure and multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Pro-active self-starter with ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment;
- Experience using Microsoft Office (experience using Office 2016 Suite is preferred); and
- Prior experience with iManage, Best Authority, time and billing systems, and Adobe Professional is preferred.
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org