Litigation Paralegal – Construction and Facilities (Oakland Preferred)
ABOUT MEYERS NAVE
Meyers Nave has an exceptional reputation in California as a go-to law firm that clients rely on to handle their highest profile, most complicated and often most controversial transactions and litigated matters. Attorneys work in multi-disciplinary teams to help public agencies, private businesses and non-profit organizations navigate complex local, state and federal laws and regulations. Meyers Nave was founded over 30 years ago and has grown into a state-wide firm with approximately 65 attorneys in five offices.
A Litigation Paralegal is responsible for providing Firm attorneys with the full range of litigation paralegal support.
This position will be assigned to the Construction & Facilities Practice Group (CFG) and will take direction from CFG attorneys, in addition to taking direction from the Director of Administration.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with attorneys and team members to oversee case management from inception through trial/settlement and post-trial/post-settlement;
- Draft, review, and revise legal documents; Cite-check briefs;
- Manage hard copy and electronic case documents, including email and electronic files; update discovery logs and indices; and prepare hard copy documents;
- Assist with document review and develop expertise in use of e-discovery technology and document review tools, including gaining the ability to prepare sets of documents to be produced and perform key-term searches over that data and ability to train other team members;
- Support and manage document productions;
- Assist with deposition and hearing preparation, including identifying and gathering exhibit documents and creating witness outlines;
- Perform litigation support duties such as Bates stamping exhibits, preparing spreadsheets and CDs, hyperlinking PDFs, reviewing litigation dockets, and ensuring that dates are calendared correctly;
- Draft and arrange for service of subpoenas;
- Obtain case-related documents informally from third parties;
- Coordinate among vendors for litigation support services;
- Monitor pending decisions and conduct legal research;
- Satisfy an annual 1575 billable hour budget;
- Complete in a timely manner both (1) daily, accurate, and detailed billable-time entries and (2) timecards;
- Assist with document review and coordinate with Litigation Support Group for back-end database management using Concordance;
- Maintain regular, reliable, and punctual on-site attendance;
- Must be able to work in a professional office environment, as well as be able to effectively work remotely if
- Work overtime hours as needed;
- Travel as required for case support;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during stressful, high-energy circumstances involving frequently changing priorities;
- Demonstrate excellent customer support;
- Work cordially, cooperatively and productively with Firm employees; and
- Other functions as assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the functions of this position at any time.
The following qualifications are required:
- Ability to work and bill as a paralegal under Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code section 6450;
- A bachelor’s degree;
- Minimum of five years of experience working as a paralegal with a law firm or in-house legal department;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite 2016;
- Prior experience with Concordance, Relativity, Disco (or other eDiscovery software), LiveNote, and Adobe Acrobat Pro XI;
- Strong legal research database skills and experience with Westlaw and/or Lexis;
- Understanding and knowledge of legal procedures, rules of counsel, and local rules;
- Experience with eDiscovery;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and respond quickly to changing priorities;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work well under stress;
- Strong analytical thinking skills;
- Ability to work independently with little or no direction; and
- Ability to effectively function in a team environment, including but not limited to the ability to be open minded, cordial and cooperative with Firm
The following qualifications are preferred:
- Construction industry experience and/or work in a construction-related legal practice;
- Strong technical eDiscovery skills and understanding of litigation support;
- Prior experience using Trial Director;
- Trial experience; and
- Experience with Casebook programs or other data management systems, and with iManage or other document management
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
No agency submissions.