Litigation Paralegal – Los Angeles
Meyers Nave is recruiting for a Litigation Paralegal. This is a nonexempt position reporting to the Legal Support Manager and is located in the Firm’s Los Angeles office.
A Litigation Paralegal is responsible for providing Firm attorneys with the full range of litigation paralegal support.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with attorneys and team members to oversee case management from inception through trial/settlement and post-trial/post-settlement;
- Draft, review, and revise legal documents;
- Maintain case files and update discovery logs and indices;
- Organize and maintain master documents, document lists, and document databases;
- Support and manage document productions;
- Assist with deposition and hearing preparation, including identifying and gathering exhibit documents and creating witness outlines;
- Cite-check briefs;
- Draft and arrange for service of subpoenas;
- Obtain case-related documents informally from third parties;
- Coordinate among vendors for litigation support services;
- Monitor pending decisions and conduct legal research;
- Assist with document review and coordinate with Litigation Support Group for back-end database management using Concordance;
- Perform litigation support duties such as Bates stamping exhibits, preparing spreadsheets and CDs, hyperlinking PDFs, reviewing litigation dockets, and ensuring that dates are calendared correctly;
- Satisfy an annual 1575 billable hour budget;
- Complete in a timely manner both (1) daily, accurate, and detailed billable-time entries and (2) time cards;
- Maintain regular, reliable, and punctual on-site attendance;
- Work overtime hours as needed;
- Travel as required for case support;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during stressful, high-energy circumstances involving frequently changing priorities;
- Demonstrate excellent customer support;
- Work cordially, cooperatively and productively with Firm employees; and
- Other functions as assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the functions of this position at any time.
- Maintain a professional network and key resource contacts.
The following qualifications are required:
- Ability to work and bill as a paralegal under Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code section 6450;
- A bachelor’s degree;
- Minimum of three years of experience working as a paralegal with a law firm or in-house legal department;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite 2010;
- Prior experience with Concordance (or other eDiscovery software), LiveNote, and Adobe Acrobat Pro XI;
- Strong legal research database skills and experience with Westlaw and/or Lexis;
- Understanding and knowledge of legal procedures, rules of counsel, and local rules;
- Experience with eDiscovery;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and respond quickly to changing priorities;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work well under stress;
- Strong analytical thinking skills;
- Ability to work independently with little or no direction; and
- Ability to effectively function in a team environment, including but not limited to the ability to be open minded, cordial and cooperative with Firm employees.
The following qualifications are preferred:
- Strong technical eDiscovery skills and understanding of litigation support;
- Prior experience using Trial Director;
- Trial experience; and
- Experience with Casebook programs or other data management systems, and with iManage or other document management programs.
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law.
Meyers Nave will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ban the Box).
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org