Senior Docketing Specialist (Los Angeles or Oakland)
Meyers Nave is recruiting for a Senior Docketing Specialist. This is a non-exempt position reporting to the Director of Administration and is located in the Firm’s Los Angeles or Oakland office.
The Senior Docketing Specialist supervises a shared employee and provides direct calendaring support to Firm personnel.
The position’s essential functions include but are not limited to the following functions:
Direct Calendaring Essential Functions
- Generate daily calendar reports and distribute to secretaries and paralegals;
- Review and analyze Calendar Department inbox;
- Review all relevant documents, such as letters, faxes, email, etc., for changes and/or additions to calendars as identified;
- Ensure that any discrepancies in calendar dates are appropriately resolved and corrected;
- Assist with periodic audits and proactively respond to underlying issues; and
- Prepare ad hoc reports as requested.
Supervision/Management Essential Functions
- Provide ongoing constructive performance feedback to shared direct report regarding all aspects of job duties including performance coaching, strategy and training;
- Liaise with attorneys, secretarial staff and other firm departments to:
- Improve understanding of docketing department functions
- Identify efficiencies and improve interdepartmental communication
- Improve effectiveness and accuracy of primary docketing performed by attorneys and secretary staff
- Provide ongoing firm wide training on law firm docketing best practices
- Trouble shoot, research and resolve errors and other complex docketing questions
- Provide high level analytical assistance regarding changes in laws and procedural updates;
- Oversee the integrity of the docket database, which includes accuracy and compliance with the Court rules across multiple jurisdictions;
- Create, Review and Update Firm wide Docketing Manual;
- Provide in-depth, detailed, and analytical research on calendar-related issues and questions and collaborate with Firm personnel to resolve them; and
- Serve as a consultative resource to attorneys, secretaries and paralegals on docketing questions relating to procedure and best practices.
Overall Essential Functions
- Consistent, predictable, on-site attendance;
- Overtime work as required;
- Maintain composure and work efficiently and accurately during stressful, high-energy circumstances involving frequently changing circumstances;
- Demonstrate excellent customer support;
- Work cordially, cooperatively and productively with all Firm employees; and
- Other functions as assigned.
Management retains the right to add to or change the duties of this position at any time.
The following qualifications are required:
- Five years’ experience working in a law firm docketing department environment,
- Acute attention to detail;
- Excellent customer service skills and attitude;
- Ability to hear and quickly learn from constructive feedback;
- Ability to productively engage in docketing exchanges with attorneys and staff;
- Ability to produce clear, concise verbal and written communications;
- Self-starter with ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment;
- Ability to effectively prioritize competing time sensitive projects;
- Advanced proficiency with the Compulaw system, including implementation of Outlook Synch; and
- Strong understanding of civil litigation process including California State and Federal Jurisdiction rules of court;
The following qualifications are preferred:
- Bachelor of Arts;
- Paralegal certificate; and
- Two years of supervisory experience.
Meyers Nave is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other category protected by law. Meyers Nave will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Direct applicants only. The Firm is not accepting submissions from recruiters for this position.