2011 Page 2
- Meyers Nave Sponsors “Meet Your Environmental Regulators” ReceptionSeptember 22, 2011Meyers Nave is pleased to sponsor this reception, hosted by the Environmental Law Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco, where you can meet with representatives of many important environmental regulatory agencies, including: California Department of Toxic Substances Control Regional Water quality Control Board Bay Area Air Quality Management District Bay COnservation and Development Commission U.S. Environmental Protection Agency U.S. Department of Justice California ... read more
- “Affirmative Litigation on Behalf of Public Entities” at the 84th Annual Meeting of the State Bar of CaliforniaSeptember 18, 2011Geoff will cover affirmative claims for recovery of monies that arise in the public setting, and how public entities can identify and successfully prosecute those claims. Topics will include how to procedurally position affirmative lawsuits, the ins and outs of contracting on a contingency basis with outside counsel, maximizing recoveries in major class action, and collection strategies.
- “Proposition 26 – Impact on State and Local Governments” at the 84th Annual Meeting of the State Bar of CaliforniaSeptember 16, 2011Proposition 26 requires a two-thirds vote of both houses of the Legislature to approve "regulatory fees" unrelated to a regulatory program, and limits local governments' authority to levy new fees. Learn about the significance of the new definition of "tax" exemptions which will not require voter approval, and impacts on local government that will prevent the enactment or increase of regulatory fees that do more.
- California Fair Political Practices Commission: Gift RegulationsSeptember 11, 2011A comprehensive look at the California Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) current and proposed gift regulations.
- Webinar – Required Ethics Compliance Training – AB1234August 10, 2011In January 2006, Assembly Bill 1234 required some 10,000 directors, trustees and other governing board members of California special districts, as well as city and county officials, to begin receiving ethics training. Recertification is required every two years. It may be time to renew your ethics training. This two-hour workshop covers general ethics principles and state laws related to: Personal financial gain by public servants. ... read more
- So You Wanna Get Hitched? Mechanisms for Consolidation of ServicesJuly 28, 2011Meyers Nave is hosting a seminar in Monterey on Mechanisms for the Consolidation of Municipal Services. The seminar will be held on July 28, 2011 at 11:30 a.m., with John Bakker, Sky Woodruff, and Stephen Muzio. Around the state public agencies of all types and sizes have been considering the benefits of consolidating the provision of municipal services, including public safety, public works, planning, and facets of ... read more
- Free Liability/Compliance Training – CSDAJune 22, 2011June 22, 2011: California Special Districts Alliance presents this Chapter Formation Discussion - El Dorado Hills Chapter Formation "Understanding Board Member and District Liability, There's no 'I' in Board" Dennis Timoney, Chief Risk Officer, SDRMA "Compliance: Important Updates for Your District" Mike Dean, Meyers Nave Lunch Provided For more information and to register for this free training, please click here.
- Critical Elements of the DDA/OPAMay 5, 2011May 3-5: Redevelopment Institute, California Redevelopment Association (CRA), San Ramon, CA Developing and negotiating a Disposition and Development Agreement (DDA) and Owner Participation Agreement (OPA) are critical skills for the redevelopment official. This workshop presents the basics of redevelopment transactions, including the theory behind agency participation; identifying agency goals, sources of funding, and forms of assistance; problems associated with types of assistance; and special issues, ... read more
- Legal and Regulatory Issues in Oil and GasMay 5, 2011May 5: HalfMoon Seminars, Santa Barbara, CA John Harris and Rachel Feiertag will present a three-hour session titled, "Permitting and Governmental Approvals for Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Operations in California" as part of a full-day program on Legal and Regulatory Issues in Oil and Gas. The session will cover the information below. The decision tree for selecting drill sites in California State and local ... read more
- Conflicts of Interests/Ethical ConsiderationsApril 28, 2011April 28: City Clerks Association of California (CCAC), South Lake Tahoe, CA This session is a part of the City Clerks Association of California Annual Conference. For information and registration, visit the CCAC website.