Russell E. Morse
Russell Morse is Of Counsel in Meyers Nave’s Land Use, Environmental Law, and Real Estate Practice Groups. His practice focuses on land use entitlement, environmental review permitting, and real estate transactions with an emphasis on real estate development projects.
He advises clients and litigates complex matters involving local planning, zoning, historic preservation and cultural resources regulations, as well as state and federal land use and environmental laws, including the California Environmental Quality Act, California Coastal Act, State Density Bonus Law, and Subdivision Map Act.
Russell has represented clients in many large and controversial residential, commercial, industrial, and mixed-use land use and development projects in California, and has helped shepherd a vast scope of smaller projects through the matrix of entitlement laws. His comprehensive expertise covers all phases of development projects, including initial planning and zoning review, real estate acquisition and disposition, public entity review and approval, and CEQA-related litigation defense.
Russell also prepares and reviews commercial and residential lease agreements, assignment and subletting documents, and real estate management agreements.
Russell’s background includes land use experience prior to becoming an attorney. He was a co-founder and managing member of a Los Angeles-based real estate investment and development company and he worked as an archaeologist and geo-spatial analyst investigating development sites to determine the presence of significant archaeological artifacts.
While in law school, Russell served as Chief Note and Comment Editor on the Loyola of Los Angeles Entertainment Law Review (2006-2007) and received the Donald Hagman G. Land Use Scholar Award (2006-2007).
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, “COVID-19 Landlord-Tenant Law Update: Commercial & Residential Evictions, Moratoria and Litigation,” Real Property Law Section of the Sacramento County Bar Association webinar, December 17, 2020
- Presenter, “COVID-19 Landlord-Tenant Law Update: Commercial & Residential Evictions, Moratoria and Litigation,” Real Estate Sections of the Orange County and Los Angeles County Bar Associations webinar, October 27, 2020
- Update Coauthor, California Land Use Practice, Chapter 13, CEB, 2020
- Author, “Legislature steps in after Judicial Council removes statewide eviction ban,” Daily Journal, September 2, 2020
- Author, “Newsom Signs AB 3088 Into Law: Extends Protections Against Evictions,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, September 2, 2020 (also published on CEB’s Current Awareness Research Platform)
- Author, “New Orders, Ordinances and Legislation Address Financial Impact of COVID-19 on Commercial and Residential Tenants and Landlords,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, June 18, 2020
- Author, “Tenants, Landlords Face a Patchwork of COVID-19 Related Laws,” Daily Journal, June 17, 2020
- Author, “If You Fail, Try, Try Again: The Fate of New Legislation Curbing Minors’ Access to Violent and Sexually Explicit Video Games,” Loyola Law School Entertainment Law Review, vol. 26, Issue I
- Membership Committee, Urban Land Institute
- Cabinet Member, Real Estate Construction Group–Jewish Federation Los Angeles
- Member, State Bar of California
- Loyola Law School, Los AngelesJD, 2007
- University of California at Los AngelesBA, Political Science and Anthropology, cum laude, 2001