Meyers Nave’s Real Estate Practice attorneys serve the transaction, litigation and regulatory compliance needs of real estate planners, developers, owners, lenders, investors, landlords and tenants. Our clients include business entities, public agencies, non-profits and public-private partnerships. We work on all types of real estate projects – commercial, industrial, warehouse, residential, mixed-use, hospitality, retail, restaurant, healthcare and education. Our attorneys guide clients through all aspects of real estate law for projects on all types of improved and unimproved land, including brownfield, greenfield, infill, redevelopment, and public use. Our transaction advice is strategic and practical, and our litigators leverage their experience representing clients as defendants and plaintiffs.
Meyers Nave assists clients with a comprehensive range of real estate transactions. For example, we help structure, negotiate and close purchases, sales, sale-leasebacks, and tax-deferred exchanges on all types of developed and undeveloped land, as well as conduct due diligence investigations and structure and negotiate financing and ground leasing agreements associated with these transactions.
Our transactions experience includes Acquisitions, dispositions, sale-leasebacks; Community Benefits and Economic Development Benefits agreements; Development, redevelopment and rehabilitation; Due diligence investigations; Easements; Financing documents, including state and federal funds and tax credits; Ground leases; Leasing, assignment and subletting; Partnership agreements for ownership, development and operations; Property management; and Relocation (residential and commercial).
Meyers Nave litigation attorneys have significant experience resolving real estate disputes on behalf of developers, lenders and investors. Our dispute resolution experience includes mediation, settlement conferences, and arbitration, as well as litigation in state and federal courts covering contract claims, tort claims and non-compliance claims under the Uniform Commercial Code.
We litigate real estate and real estate-secured transactions involving Bad faith negotiation of terms; Breach of contract (sale, purchase, lease); Easements; Environmental compliance; Fraud and misrepresentation; Housing, subdivision, and density bonus; Land use and zoning disputes; Partnership disputes; Permitting process, administrative procedures and proceedings; Insurance coverage; Construction disputes; and ADA matters.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE: TRANSACTIONS
- Provide a global fund management company with due diligence review and advice on real estate acquisitions, including land use entitlements and environmental conditions and compliance for potential property purchases and investments. Draft detailed memoranda of compliance with standards, issues of concerns, and strategies to reduce entitlement risks.
- Advise a California non-profit public benefit corporation on conservation easements, conveyance of watershed lands, land transactions, and real property matters, including the purchase and donation of 140 acres to be used for habitat conservation and permanent open space.
- Assist an international developer with land acquisition and City approvals for a luxury hotel development in the Disneyland California area.
- Advise non-profit housing developers, non-profit land trusts, and for-profit homebuilders in negotiating and drafting agreements for development, land acquisition, affordable housing requirements, ground leases, and financing documents for public agency assistance for rental and for-sale multi-family housing development projects throughout California.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE: LITIGATION
- Represented a national big-box retailer in resolving hundreds of lease disputes, including successful verdicts in numerous commercial unlawful detainer trials.
- Represented an investor-owned utility in an action for specific performance of a real property purchase agreement concerning land jointly owned by multiple individuals and implicating issues of several liability.
- Represent a city in a lease and purchase agreement dispute with a commercial developer based on complex bond financing transactions.
- Represent a city, city council, former mayor and city manager in a lawsuit brought by the developer of a large-scale, smart-growth, mixed-use, urban infill development project asserting equal protection and due process violations and business torts related to denial of permits and treatment during the entitlement process.