Catherine (Cathy) Carlisle is Of Counsel in Meyers Nave’s Trial and Litigation Practice, representing major international and domestic corporations as well as public entities in high-stakes civil litigation and enforcement matters.
Cathy has extensive experience defending complex litigation matters in state and federal courts across the country involving a variety of issues, including contract disputes, business torts, consumer protection, products liability, toxic torts, securities, antitrust, intellectual property, and constitutional questions. She frequently represents clients in high-profile class actions and multidistrict disputes, handles sensitive internal investigations as well as complex government investigations and enforcement matters, and counsels clients on regulatory compliance and risk management issues.
Cathy often serves as lead counsel and works closely with clients to develop effective case management strategies from the inception of the litigation process through trial and appeals. She is well-versed in all stages of litigation, including motion practice, discovery, appellate litigation, and trial preparation, as well as in taking and defending depositions, presenting oral arguments, conducting negotiations, and representing clients in mediations and settlement discussions.
Outside of her law practice, Cathy is an active member of the California Lawyers Association, serving as Vice-Chair of the International Law Section. She previously served as Editor in Chief for The California International Law Journal. Cathy has also taught courses on pretrial advocacy, advanced litigation writing, and depositions at Los Angeles area law schools.
Prior to joining Meyers Nave, Cathy was an attorney at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP in Washington, DC, and Dechert LLP in Los Angeles. She represented clients in a variety of matters, including complex commercial litigation, enforcement actions, and international arbitration.
Cathy is a member of the bars of California, New York, and the District of Columbia. She is admitted to practice in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and Second Circuits, and the following U.S. District Courts: the Central District of California, Southern District of California, Northern District of California, Eastern District of California, Southern District of New York, and Western District of New York.
Cathy received her J.D. from Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law in 2009, with a concentration in international law. While in law school, she served as the Membership & Comment Editor for the Journal of International Human Rights.
- Defended a national bank, its subsidiaries and directors in multiple class actions and government suits in federal and state courts in New York, Massachusetts, California, and Florida for securities, ERISA, breach of contract and other claims arising out of the Bernard L. Madoff Ponzi scheme, one of the largest schemes to date.
- Defended a baseball bat manufacturer in a consumer class action in California federal court involving California statutory and breach of warranty claims.
- Defended an online travel company in a class action for antitrust claims arising out of alleged agreements between hotels and online travel companies concerning hotel room pricing.
- Defended an international manufacturer of LCD screens in an antitrust class action arising from allegations of an international price fixing conspiracy.
- Defended an athletic club in California federal court class actions involving alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and Electronic Funds Transfer Act.
- Defended an emerging biotech company in a securities fraud class action in California state and federal courts.
- Advising a Southern California city in crisis management proceedings regarding overflows.
- Advising a Northern California city regarding a pipeline franchise dispute.
- Defended an international shipping company in New York, Utah, Texas, Michigan and California federal and state court breach of contract actions, including several trials.
- Defended an international transportation and equipment manufacturer in a contract dispute and consolidated products liability actions in California state and federal court arising from a train derailment.
- Represented a manufacturer of video game components in a contract and tort action in California state court arising from dispute with a supplier.
- Represented a solar energy plant developer in New York and New Jersey contract disputes with a subcontractor arising from project delays.
- Defended a multinational software company in a trade secret and breach of contract case in Oregon federal court.
- Defended a clothing retailer in a trademark infringement action in California state court.
- Represented a Chinese manufacturing company in a patent dispute and related attorney disciplinary actions.
- Defended sporting goods manufacturers in California and Hawai’i state and federal court products liability and breach of warranty actions.
- Defended a chemical and pharmaceutical company in California and Florida state court products liability and toxic tort trials.
- Represented a foreign sovereign in multiple arbitrations regarding alleged unfair treatment and expropriation in violation of the investment provisions of the Energy Charter Treaty and a bilateral investment treaty.
- Defended foreign corporations in actions to enforce arbitral awards in New York federal court.
- Represented domestic and multi-national software companies in motions to compel arbitration and enforce arbitration clauses.
Regulatory, Compliance, and Investigations
- Advised national and international corporations on U.S. regulatory compliance and risk management, including an international biotech company, a domestic software company, and health services organizations.
- Advised a national bank and its subsidiaries in government investigations and enforcement proceedings regarding securities fraud claims.
- Advised a major investment bank in internal and government investigations regarding mortgage-backed securities.
- Advised a software company in internal and government investigations regarding insider trading claims.
- Advised an emerging biotech company in an internal investigation regarding stock-drop claims.
- Advised an international shipping company in an antitrust-related internal investigation, as well as a government investigation and enforcement proceeding.
- Advised an international technology company in a large-scale antitrust-related government investigation and enforcement proceeding.
- Advised a software manufacturer in government investigations arising from large-scale trucking accidents.
Honors and Awards
- Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2021-2022
- Pro Bono Service Award, Legal Aid Society New York, 2012
- Elected Executive Committee Vice-Chair, The California Lawyers Association International Law Section, 2019-Present
- Executive Committee Member, The California Lawyers Association International Law Section, 2019-Present
- Editor-in-Chief, The California International Law Journal, 2018-2020
- Northwestern University School of LawJD, 2009
- Carleton CollegeBA, magna cum laude, English, 1998