Arlene R. Yang
Arlene Yang is a Principal in the Labor and Employment Practice Group. She focuses her practice on employment counseling and litigation.
Arlene advises companies on employment law issues, including wage and hour matters, leave issues, reasonable accommodations for disabilities, and employment policies. She conducts workplace investigations, provides strategic advice to human resources managers, and represents employers with unionized workforce. She also specializes in litigation in state and federal court and proceedings before administrative agencies. Arlene is an experienced presenter on current employment laws and issues relating to implicit bias, discrimination, and harassment.
Prior to joining Meyers Nave, Arlene was a Partner and the Chief Practice Officer at an employment law boutique in San Diego that served local corporations and Fortune 50 companies headquartered throughout the U.S. She developed expertise in labor and employment litigation and counseling as an attorney at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security – both at the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and at U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Arlene advocated for TSA in administrative litigation before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Merit Systems Protection Board.
Arlene also served as a litigator at the United States Department of Justice (Attorney General’s Honors Program) and at an international law firm headquartered in New York City. After law school Arlene clerked for the Honorable Daniel H. Huyett, 3rd in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Investigated allegations that an entertainment company supervisor engaged in sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior toward female and male third-parties during a festival.
- Investigated allegations of racial discrimination made by an employee of a San Francisco Bay Area-based technology company.
- Investigated an employee of a financial services company following a public complaint that the employee made racial slurs outside of work.
- Investigated allegations of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior toward female and male subordinates by a vice president at an international consumer products company.
- Investigated allegations of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior by a state politician’s senior staff member.
- Represented an international food company against claims of disability discrimination and wage and hour violations by a former employee. Obtained summary judgment for the individual supervisor defendant in state court, removed the matter to federal court, and resolved the matter on favorable terms.
- Represented a financial institution against a claim of disability discrimination by a former employee, on a matter that brought together requirements for workers’ compensation, short term disability, and reasonable accommodations. Following discovery, resolved the matter on favorable terms in mediation.
- Represented an insurance company against claims of defamation and misuse of criminal records in employment. Litigated case up to trial and served on trial team. Matter is currently on appeal.
- Represented a transaction technology company in a class action wage and hour case in state court, including assisting the client to obtain court approval of the settlement agreement and then modifying the settlement agreement, as well as related motion practice.
- Represented a transportation company with many union employees to defend against numerous complaints before the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Briefed and presented oral arguments to the California Court of Appeal, Second Appellate District responding to the appeal of summary judgment regarding a claim that a benefit bill review company violated the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act. Prevailed following oral argument.
Honors and Awards
- San Diego Super Lawyers list: Employment & Labor: Employer, Employment Litigation: Defense, and General Litigation, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2020
- “Best of the Bar,” San Diego Business Journal, 2016, 2017
Presentations and Publications
- Moderator, “Moving Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Programs Forward – A Roadmap for Employers,” National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, September 23, 2020
- Presenter, “The Workplace Transformed,” Brown Law Group, August 12, 2020
- Author, “Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Are Good for California Businesses,” Times of San Diego, July 29, 2020
- Presenter, “Employment Law Clinic and Workshop,” California Lawyers for the Arts, July 2, 2020
- Presenter, “Nonprofit Legal Issues in the Age of COVID-19,” University of San Diego Nonprofit Institute, May 26, 2020
- Presenter, “Preventative Employment Law for Diverse Businesses,” Council for Supplier Diversity, April 21, 2020
- Presenter, “Employment Law and Coronavirus: An Update and Discussion,” National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, March 26, 2020
- Presenter, “Employment Law Update,” Brown Law Group, February 20, 2020
- Author, “California Assembly Bill 5 and Worker Misclassification: Their Effects on Nonprofit Arts and Culture Organizations,” Brown Law Group and WolfBrown publication, February 2020
- Presenter, “AB-5 and Other New HR Rules for 2020: The Workshop,” San Diego Commission for Arts and Culture, Californians for the Arts, December 6, 2019
- Moderator, “Keeping the Wheels on the Bus: Motherhood, Fatherhood, and How Attorneys Make It Work,” National Asian Pacific American Bar Association National Convention, November 9, 2019
- Presenter, “How Do I Maximize Talent and Limit Legal Liability?” WeWork San Diego, July 24, 2019
- Presenter, “How Do I Maximize Talent and Limit Legal Liability?” San Diego Startup Week, May 31, 2019
- Presenter, “Employment Law Update,” Brown Law Group, January 24, 2019
- Presenter, “Limits on the Use of Criminal Background Checks, Arrest Records, and Consequences of Failure to Comply,” Society for Human Resources Management, San Diego Chapter Conference, November 7, 2018
- Presenter, “Employment Law Update,” Brown Law Group, January 11, 2018
- Moderator, “Pay Equality and Advancement for Asian Americans in the Workplace and the Legal Profession,” National Asian Pacific American Bar Association National Convention, November 4, 2017
- Moderator, “The Leading Edge: Federal Labor and Employment Enforcement and Regulatory Priorities,” National Asian Pacific American Bar Association National Convention, November 4, 2016
- Board of Directors, Lawyers Club of San Diego, 2018-current
- VP Community Relations, Lawyers Club of San Diego, 2020-current
- Co-Chair, Labor and Employment Committee, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, 2016-current
- President, transcenDANCE Youth Arts Project, 2020-current
- Board of Directors, Lawyers Club of San Diego, 2018-current
- Board Member, transcenDANCE Youth Arts Project, 2017-current
- Panelist, U.S. Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel, Southern District of California, 2018-current
- Member, Hon. William B. Enright American Inn of Court, 2015-2018
- Vice Chair, Labor and Employment Law Section, San Diego County Bar Association, 2017
- President, Pan Asian Lawyers of San Diego, 2015-2016
- Director, Pan Asian Lawyers of San Diego, 2014-2016
- President of the Board of Trustees, Nai-Ni Chen Dance Company, 2007-2012
- Trustee, Nai-Ni Chen Dance Company, 2002-2013
- New York University, School of LawJD, 1994
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology CambridgeMA, BS, Chemistry, 1991