Claire S. Lai
Claire S. Lai is an Associate in Meyers Nave’s Municipal and Special District Law Practice Group. She currently serves as Assistant City Attorney for the Cities of South San Francisco and Walnut Creek, and the Town of Los Altos Hills.
Claire brings valuable first-hand experience to our public law clients from serving as Deputy County Counsel of the Merced County Counsel’s Office and Interim Deputy City Attorney at the Milpitas City Attorney’s Office. She advises cities and special districts on a wide range of municipal and public law issues. Her areas of focus include land use, telecommunications, housing development, public works and contracting, the Public Records Act and the Brown Act. In her public law practice, Claire has assisted cities and regional agencies in negotiating public contracts, leases and license agreements; resolving land use and CEQA questions in urban development; advising on requests for proposals and bids issues; and crafting local regulations including those related to telecommunications, records retention, and accessory dwelling units.
While in law school, Claire was a Judicial Extern in the Pro Se Department of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in San Francisco and a law clerk in the Appeals, Writs and Trial Section of the California Attorney General’s Office.
Honors and Awards
- Moot Court Best Oralist, University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 2011
- Outstanding Editor Award, Constitutional Law Quarterly, University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 2012
- UC Hastings Competitor, ABA Section of Taxation Law Student Tax Challenge, 2012
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, “How Do Municipalities Comply with the FCC’s New Rule on Small Cell Wireless Deployment?”, Meyers Nave webinar, January 2019
- Presenter, “FCC Regulatory Update Re: Small Cell Wireless Facilities Deployment,” San Mateo County Telecommunications Authority, October 2018
- Presenter, “California Housing Law Update,” CEB/Continuing Education of the Bar webinar, 2018
- Certified Volunteer, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), 2012-2013
- Member, AmeriCorps-JusticeCorps, San Diego Superior Court, 2008-2010
- University of California, Hastings College of the LawJD, 2013
- Staff/Senior Internal Editors, Constitutional Law Quarterly2011-2013
- University of California at San DiegoBA, cum laude, 2010