Gorev Ahuja is an Associate in the Workplace Investigations Practice and Labor and Employment Law Practice at Meyers Nave. His broad range of experience includes workplace investigations, wage-and-hour, discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, labor-management relations, unfair competition, class actions, and ERISA matters.
Gorev has conducted workplace investigations including allegations of sexual assault, harassment, discrimination, whistleblower retaliation and other serious misconduct; drafted responses to complaints filed with various agencies (including DFEH, PERB, OCR), participated in depositions in discrimination cases and assessed potential witnesses for trial, and drafted and prepared pleadings, motions, responses to and propounded discovery in preparation for trial. He has experience obtaining workplace violence restraining orders on behalf of employers. Gorev has also observed labor negotiations and worked on ERISA pension cases, including assisting in the administrative appeal process for private and public state and federal pension plans.
Gorev’s background includes specialty experience with matters involving schools. He has drafted pleadings for special education cases and represented school districts in special education proceedings, including due process hearings, mediations, and IEP meetings. Gorev is extensively familiar with the investigation of complaints filed under the California Educational Employment Relations Act, the Uniform Complaint Procedures, and Title IX.
Gorev’s workplace investigations experience includes reviewing documents and interviewing witnesses to determine facts relating to alleged misconduct, evaluating factual findings to ascertain compliance with workplace policies, and providing recommendations for appropriate responses and potential courses of action tailored to specific situations as part of confidential reports to clients. In addition to serving as sole investigator and as a member of a team of Meyers Nave attorney investigators, Gorev has also supervised investigations conducted by clients. He has handled investigations for public entities of all types, including cities, counties and special districts.
Gorev is biliterate in Hindi and bilingual in Punjabi.
- Investigation involving allegations of sexual harassment by a county corrections officer. Included reviewing workplace video camera footage, interviewing 12 witnesses, and identifying three additional victims for a total of 19 incidents of harassment claimed by five women. Required a quick-turnaround report of an officer who was on paid leave.
- Investigation involving complaints by a high-level county employee of allegedly excessive monitoring, discourteous conduct, and retaliation by an elected official. Included interviewing 11 witnesses.
- Second chaired successful termination hearing of a high level employee for a public retirement pension plan after a six day administrative hearing.
- Investigation involving allegations of fraud, dishonesty, and intentional falsifications in a county auditor’s office. Included interviewing five witnesses.
- Supplemental investigation of alleged discrimination and retaliation. Included interviewing subjects via Skype and identifying additional facts that bolstered the initial investigation’s conclusions.
- Investigation involving allegations of dishonesty, discourteous conduct, and rule violations by an employee in a city water department.
- Second chaired successful defense of an offer of a Free and Appropriate Education (“FAPE”) for a public school district after a six day administrative hearing.
- Investigation involving allegations of bullying, intimidation, abusive conduct and retaliation by a supervisor at a public housing authority. Included interviewing nine witnesses, examining potential workplace policy violations and advising on potential responses.
- Investigation involving alleged violations of California’s Educational Employment Relations Act made by a union local president who was removed from a position as his school’s representative to the California Interscholastic Federation, the statewide governing body for high school sports. This included reviewing California Interscholastic Federation Constitution and Bylaws for compliance.
- Investigation involving allegations of race, age, and gender discrimination against a county code enforcement officer.
- Investigation involving claims made by the parents of a bullied student against a public school principal and teachers regarding alleged procedural errors and discrimination based on race and disability.
- Investigation involving complaints of alleged systemic workplace discrimination based on race and sexual orientation raised by a probationary employee who was dismissed for making inappropriate comments. Included interviewing numerous student witnesses.
Honors and Awards
- Dean’s Honor List, University of California, Davis, Top 15% of class during each quarter, 2009-2013
- Department Citation for Highest Honors, University of California, Davis, Highest GPA honors for Political Science, June 2013
- Graduated Top 15% of Law School Graduating Class, May 2017
Presentations and Publications
- Author, “Wage and Hour Update: California Supreme Court Issues Two Important Rulings,” North County Lawyer, April 2021
- Author, “Top 10 Questions about California’s New COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave Law with Retroactive Paid Time Off,” Meyers Nave Labor and Employment Law Practice Guide, March 24, 2021
- Author, “Avoid Costly Timekeeping Errors: California Supreme Court Says Employers May Not Round Meal Periods,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, March 2, 2021
- Presenter, “Employment Law Update: What’s New, What’s Changed and What’s Next?,” Meyers Nave webinar, January 12 and 14, 2021
- Author, “AB 1867: Employers Must Provide COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave for Emergency Responders and Health Care Providers,” Meyers Nave Client Alert, September 17, 2020
- Member, California Public Employers Labor Relations Association
- Mentor, Northern California South Asian Bar Association
- University of California at Davis, King Hall School of LawJD, 2017
- University of California at DavisBA, Political Science, Psychology, cum laude, 2013