Suzanne K. Roten
Suzanne Roten is a Senior of Counsel in the Labor and Employment Practice Group. She advises management on federal and state employment law compliance. She defends employers against claims of discrimination, wrongful discharge, sexual harassment, retaliation and wage and hour disputes in state and federal courts and before government agencies. Suzanne has expertise in the area of disability discrimination and reasonable accommodation, and in public accommodation compliance under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. She also provides assistance with executive employment contracts, arbitration agreements and confidentiality agreements.
Suzanne’s clients include large and small employers, private sector businesses and non-profit corporations. She also represents public sector employers, including representing a large federal agency in employee disciplinary appeal proceedings and in discrimination charges brought by federal employees before the EEOC.
Prior to joining Meyers Nave, Suzanne was a Partner and the Chief Talent Officer at an employment law boutique in San Diego that served local corporations and Fortune 50 companies headquartered throughout the U.S.
Suzanne is a frequent speaker on employment law and related topics. She has published articles on these subjects in the Knoxville Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal, Los Angeles Daily Journal, and Dicta (journal of the Knoxville Bar Association).
Suzanne was appointed by the Mayor of Knoxville to serve on the City of Knoxville Civil Service Merit Board from 2009-2011. Suzanne actively supports Habitat for Humanity, and she volunteered on the building crews for two homes in Knoxville. She is also active in her home community of Ocean Beach, where she participates in community clean-up projects. supports the San Diego Zoo, San Diego Humane Society, and UCLA School of Law.
Honors and Awards
- San Diego Super Lawyers list: Employment Litigation: Defense, Super Lawyers Magazine 2015-2022
- Dicta Award, Knoxville Bar Association, 2010
Presentations and Publications
- Interview, “Top Lawyers: Suzanne Roten On The 5 Things You Need To Become A Top Lawyer In Your Specific Field of Law,” Authority Magazine, April 27, 2022
- Author, “Independent Contractors, Leased Workers, and Outsourcing,” Advising California Employers and Employees, CEB, Chapter 3, 2022
- Author, “Management Counsel,” Dicta (Knoxville Bar Association Journal)
- Author, “Dodging Peer Review: Employment Arbitration Agreements,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, May 2012
- Author, “Social Media Policy Can Stumble Over Words,” San Diego Business Journal, March 2012
- Member, Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Member, Knoxville Bar Association
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, Publications Committee, Knoxville Bar Association, 2008-2011
- University of California at Los Angeles, School of LawJD, 1990
- University of California Berkeley School of Library & Information SciencesMLS, 1978
- University of California at San DiegoBA